Chapter 10|Vulnerability

September 11, 2017
7:45 A.M.

Nicki

I groaned, tossing side to side

I groaned, tossing side to side. For some odd reason, I couldn't go back to sleep. My eyes popped open, realizing that Beyoncé was no longer next to me.

Despite the pain between my legs, I got out of the bed and looked for something to put on. I slid into a pair of her Jordan slides that was next to her bed. Not wanting to ramble, I put on Bey's robe that was hanging on her bathroom door. I decided I was gonna look for her.

My search ended before it started when I saw her standing outside out of the corner of my eye. She had on a white wife beater and gray sweatpants, with black Adidas slides on. Her back was leaned against the balcony, as she smoked a blunt. Something about her was off though, she looked sad.

I made my way to the sliding door and opened it, stepping outside.

"Hey Bey..." She gave me a slight smile and took another pull from her blunt.

"Wussup lil mama. I see you found somethin' to put on." She said, looking me up and down.

"Yeah...." I trailed off, stepping closer to her. I looked up at her and I could instantly tell that she had been crying. Although her eyes were red from being high, they were also watery and her nose was red. She sniffled, looking everywhere but at me. I reached up to grab her face.

"Hey...what's wrong?" I asked her, and she bit down on her bottom lip, shaking her head. She let out a shaky sigh, as if to prepare herself to speak. She put the blunt in the ashtray that sat on the balcony railing.

"Nothing...I'm straight. You hungry?" She attempted to change the subject, and I sucked my teeth.

"There's obviously something wrong Beyoncé. Talk to me....please." She sighed, looking down at me.

"I always hate this date man...." I was confused at first, but then it clicked. Today was the anniversary of 9/11.

"It's just a constant reminder." She continued. I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"I was 10 years old when my older brother Nasir was killed in 9/11. Even though it's been years, I still remember it like it was yesterday. My mama was watching the news when the live broadcasting of the bombing was goin' on." She sniffled, and I looked up to see tears streaming down her face. I reached up to wipe them away, but they kept falling.

"He called the house and he was in a panic. I just knew the worst was gonna happen, and there was no escaping it. After he spoke to our mom, he asked her to put me on the phone. I couldn't stop crying man."