L Ø S I A N

26. M I R A

      "Her name is Thorn

      "Her name is Thorn."

      Josie and Kieran are seated on the sofa, while Callum is at the table being spoon-fed by Vye. Amelie is leaning against the kitchen wall and Comrade is in the doorway by the stairs.

      I sit next to Callum, and raise my hand to the table. Thorn stands on my palm nervously looking around the room.

Amelie gasps softly as she stands up walking closer.

"I'm sorry I didn't show her to you before," I hesitate, "I was scared."

      Callum's jaw drops and the oatmeal in his mouth spills over his shirt. His gasp is one of awe as he squeal his delight.

"It's a fairy!" He shouts, he moves to the table, but before he can do anything Vye holds him back.

Thorn's wings droop in sadness as Vye looks at her with uncertainty. I bite my lip feeling hurt on Thorn's behalf. Before I can say anything Thorn speaks.

"It's ok," her voice is timid, "I won't hurt him."

Vye's cheeks color with red, "No Thorn, you misunderstand. I don't want him to hurt you."

Callum's surprised gasp fills the room as he turns in his mother's hold.

"I won't, I won't hurt her." He murmurs to his mother, before turning back to Thorn. Her wings flutter as she looks at Vye, for reassurance. Vye smiles at her and Thorn flies near Callum, hovering in front of his face. Her hands reach out and touch his button nose. His laughter floods the room and I watch everyone else.

Josie is laughing along with Callum, and Kieran seems to smile at the sight, with curious eyes. Amelie crouches at the table, observing Thorn's form. Comrade doesn't show any emotion, he looks highly disinterested.

He's changed into a T-shirt and black jeans, a jacket hangs from his hands. He looks impatient to get out of here. However, I don't miss the way his eyes trace over Thorn's wings, a longing in his eyes.

"Where did you find her?" Kieran asks.

I look at Thorn who turns to me, she's quiet. I know she's waiting to see what I'll say.

I can feel everyone's gaze on me and I look down at my hands.

"On the island. She was a rose, and then I pricked my finger and my blood, it changed her." The room goes quiet, except for Callum's soft laugh, he claps his hand together in joy.

Finally, I look up to see the others glancing around. I don't know if I should have said that or not but I see no reason to lie, when they've accepted me in.

Vye breaks the silence and looks at me, her eyes don't change the same maternal love in them.

"Thank you for letting us meet her, it seems we have another new clan member."