7. A Little Less Than Average

7

“So I guess we should get to sleep now.”  Izzy said yawning.

“You can sleep on the bed.  I’ll take the couch, since you’re still healing.”

“Why don’t we just share the big bed?  Wouldn’t that make more sense?”

“No.”

“What if I have a nightmare?”

“You’re a big boy. I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“Seriously?  After all we’ve been through together you still want to sleep on the couch.”

“Yeah.  Do you have a problem with that?”  I said putting my hand on my hip.  I was still wearing the dress Jessica gave me.  She lent me some shorts and a t-shirt too for when I got to sleep.

“Frankly yes.”

“I can’t understand why.”

“Listen, I just…please just sleep with me tonight?”

I raised my eyebrows at him.  His eyes got wide.  “No!  Not like that!  Come on.  Shit.  You’re going to make things difficult aren’t you?”

“Just tell me why it’s so important?”

He sighed.  “Because it’s my job to keep you safe.”

“Huh?”

“If you die, I die.  If I die, you’re still fine.  It’s my job to protect you.”

“So what does that have to do with anything?”

He rubbed his hand through his hair.  “I don’t want to lose you.  These people have already acquired some powers.  We can’t underestimate them.”

“So if I’m just across the room from you that will worry you?”

“Yes.”

“Get over it.”

“Felicity Jones!  Please!”

“No.”  I said simply, setting up the couch.  I strutted into the bathroom to change.  While I was in there I tried to see if I could hear Izzy’s thoughts.  I could.

‘Why is she so damn difficult?!  I’m all I want is to keep her safe.  It’s not like I planned on making a move or something.  Maybe I might want to, but I wouldn’t.  I don’t think she realizes what danger we’re in!  Gah!  She’s killing me!  I swear I can’t believe I’m stuck with her sometimes, but at the same time I don’t mind.  She is really pretty.  She’s funny.  Independent.  Shit, I love her.’

I stopped listening after that.  I still don’t want to sleep in the same bed as him.  Now it’s partly my pride, plus partly my awkwardness.  I’m an idiot.

I walked out and set the dress on the vanity bench.  I crawled under the blanket and made myself comfortable.  Izzy turned off the lights and I quickly fell asleep.  I didn’t realize how tired I was.  But this has been an exhausting day.

About halfway through the night I had the weirdest dream.  It was of me, but it was like me looking at me.  I was so confused.  I figured out what was going on when I woke up in the morning.

I was in the bed right next to Izzy.  He transported me. 

I hit him in the arm and screamed, “Are you an idiot or something?!”

“Wha-what?” He said waking up.

“I can’t believe you transported me over!  And since you were having a dream about me and getting all excited I had the same dream!”