Chapter Eight

Aiden and I have become good friends over the past week, which helps when you're trying to pull off a fake romance. But what people don't realise is that, when our heads are together it's so we can plan our next step, or when he kisses me, were actually mumbling about Stiles' reaction. Ally was the only other person in on the plan, even Ethan, Aidens twin brother, didn't have a clue. Ally was our go between girl, she was tasked with helping to make this look legit.

She would hint us being a lot closer than we were, and how hard it was going to be for both of us when Aiden leaves. We would walk around the property holding hands, with our heads close together. We would whisper strategy in to each other's ears, as we sat with everyone around our firepit. We were putting on a great show and I would get giddy when I would see Stiles from the corner of my eye, trying to hide his contempt.

Through the week I would take note of Stiles' demeanour. You could tell he didn't like Aiden, that was obvious by the looks he would give him, when he thought no one was watching. But it became more apparent to me, when he found me standing on the fence post watching Aiden and Ethan, both with their shirts off, hitting something into the ground with mallets. I felt him come up beside me, but I didn't acknowledge him straight away.

Ally wasn't here today. Her and her father had headed to Alice Springs an hour earlier, for the weekend, leaving me to my own devices. I'm not sure how I was going to cope with Ally so far away. Finally Stiles spoke.

"I hope you know what you're doing." Were the first words to leave his mouth.

No hello. How's your week been? Are you happy? I turn to face him, and can't control the beating of my heart when I see his face so close to mine. He isn't looking at me, instead his narrowed eyes are trained on the twins. We haven't really spent any time together alone in the past week, so I'm a little sucker punched when I see the creases on his brow, his normally clean shaven face is covered in stubble and his beautiful lips are set in a tight line.

"Excuse me?" I say after a while, turning my eyes back to the twins.

From the corner of my eye I can see the short jerk of his head towards Aiden.

"With Aiden, I hope you know what you're doing." He repeats.

"Well not that it's any of your business, but I'm perfectly fine looking out for myself." I answer, trying to keep my tone even.

There's a heavy silence that sits between us for a while, plus an electricity that tingles through me with how close we are. I control the shiver that threatens to take over my body at his proximity, I can't falter now.

"I don't like him, be careful."

I have a half a mind to tell him I don't like his girlfriend either, but I keep my lips sealed on that topic, instead I turn to him and set him with a scowl.

"I don't care whether you like him or not, like I said, it's none of your business." I growl.

I jump off the post and start heading in the direction of the house. He's quick to follow, and with his long legs, it takes him no time at all to catch up with me. I've just about reached the door, when he moves to block my way. I pull up short, cross my arms over my chest and again set him with a scowl. The silence is back, as we both stare each other down. He falters first, a heavy sigh leaving his lips, lips that I desperately want to kiss.

"I'm sorry okay, I just don't want to see you get hurt." He explains.

If at all possible, my scowl hardens and to his credit he looks a little scared.

"I said I can take care of myself. Why do you care so much?" I ask, as I shove him out of the way, not giving him a chance to respond.

I stomp through the house, past my Aunt and straight up the staircase. I can hear him behind me, his heavy boots slapping against the wooden floor boards. I'm halfway up when I hear him mumbling an apology to my aunt. I continue up the stairs, down the hall and push through my bedroom door. I lock it and throw myself on my bed. It's not long before he starts knocking on my door, calling my name through the intricately carved cream wood.