Levels

{Second Base}

,"Jamie, are you flirting with me?"

I asked while scooting myself to the wall of the bed. He rolled his eyes.

,"If I were flirting with you, you would clearly see it."

I sighed and bobbed my head a bit.

,"I do have eyes, Jamie Lozano."

I said sarcastically. He sighed and sat beside me on my bed. His eyes fixated on me and mine on him.

,"So do I, Iris Black."

I looked down to his hands and arms. They were just so.... tattooed.

,"Jamie can I ask you a question?"

He hummed.

,"What?"

I saw the many, designs, and drawings. Why would he do that to himself?

,"Why did you tattoo yourself?"

I asked softly. He looked down at his arms. The look in his eyes was almost beautiful. ALMOST. Its like a beautiful day and then rain comes down and ruins everything, the sun tucks itself away, the dirt becomes muddy, the air becomes foggy and misty, the trees are wet and soggy, the sky turns grey and cloudy. Its horrible. But there's just a bit of beauty. It was almost a perfect day.

,"If I tell you, its like I'm revealing my soul to you. I've got secrets, so many. Once I tell you this there's no going back. If you ever tell anybody else..."

His voice hitched.

,"I- I don't know what I'll do."

He said in a deep voice. I nodded. He bit down on the inside of his bottom lip. He was about to open his mouth when I heard the front door opening. I narrowed my eyebrows. Mom's home? I grabbed Jamie and pulled him up.

,"Hide under the bed."

I pushed him to the floor. He scooted himself under the bed and hushed himself.

,"Iris Black."

I heard a chilling voice. I ran down the stairs and stopped dead in my tracks. This was definitely not my mother. Erin Lean, the bitch, the asshole, the "rapist". He stood right in front of the door.

,"GET OUT!"

I screamed. He smirked then lunged towards me. I stumbled back to the stairs and tripped. He grabbed my ankle but I kicked him in the face, pushing him away from me. I climbed up a few more steps but he grabbed my shirt and pulled me down.

,"JAMIE?!"

I heard rapid footsteps. I groaned and felt myself being pushed down to the ground. I found myself kicking Erin where the sun doesn't shine. He stopped doing everything he was doing. His face turned into a look of pain and agony.

,"YOU WHORE!"

He yelled then slapped me across the face. I hissed in pain as someone pried Erin off of me, once again. He fell to the floor on his back. Jamie pulled him up then punched him in the face. I needed to watch, I had to. I felt obligated to. I saw Jamie trembling in anger. He kept punching him in the face, over and over again. Blood smeared across his face and on Jamie's knuckles.

,"Jamie!"

I yelled. If he didn't stop now Erin would've ended up dead. I didn't care if he did or not but Jamie would go to jail. It would be all because of me and I couldn't live with that. He stopped moving and his muscles tensed under his skin tight shirt. He was panting, catching his breath.

,"Stop, you're gunna kill him."

I breathed out. Jamie straightened up and I saw him moving his chest up and down rapidly. Erin got up from the floor wiping away his face, there was so much blood. He ran to the door and left slamming the door behind him.

,"Jamie."

I said his name lowly. He turned towards me with a face of guilt.

,"I'm sorry."

He said breathlessly. I didn't have to say anything. He had lost it, he went ballistic. It had all happened so fast but I knew it. I saw and knew how he felt. He had lost control. The look in his eyes showed me that he was trying to contain himself in front of me. My guess is that he didn't want me to be scared of him. I wasn't.

,"Its okay."

I said trying to keep it together. I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream, I wanted to shout out to the world about how bad I was feeling. But instead I sprinted up to him and I wasted no time pulling him into my embrace. I pushed my face into his chest and felt my heart pump. He saved me, again.

,"Why didn't you tell me?"

He asked. His arms warmly slithered around my back.

,"Tell you what?"

,"About our problems."

I narrowed my eyebrows.

,"What are you talking about?"

I pulled away and saw his shocked face. He pulled away from me and I did the same. He walked past me then back up to my bedroom, I followed shortly behind him. He grabbed a book laying on top of my bed. I was confused until I realized what the book was.

,"Jamie-"

,"WHO MADE YOU FEEL LIKE THIS?!"

He yelled holding the book in his right hand. The book had poems and entries that I wrote. I was depressed and couldn't find a way to be happy at that time. The words that are written in that book have unspeakable meaning to them. They meant so much to me and to have Jamie read them made me feel insecure.

,"TELL ME IRIS!"

,"It was me, okay."

I said trying to hold back all my tears. He dropped the book.

,"What?"

,"I was alone, I had nobody. I was depressed and I just wrote to get my mind off things."

I croaked out with a knot stuck in my throat.

,"And what about the poem about the pills? What was that about?"

I sniffled and realized the tears were falling from my eyes.

,"Anti-depression medication."

I whispered out. He didn't say a word for a while. What could he say? The stuff I wrote was deep and... scary to some people.

,"Say something."

I pleaded. He looked at me and took in a deep breath. He took a big step toward me almost touching my body. He locked his arms around me and I yelped out in surprise.

,"What would you like me to say?"