8

Sitting underneath the tree with Ashton at lunch time, Luke was running his hands anxiously through his already messy mop of hair.

"Why did I agree to it?! I don't go to parties!" Luke said, his voice slightly panicky as Ashton lit up a cigarette.

"I know why you agreed to it." Ashton said, pushing his sunglasses up his nose as the sun beat down.

"Why?"

"You like Calum." Ashton simply said, flicking his cigarette.

Luke scoffed a little too quickly. "No." He said unconvincingly, his voice wavering.

"Yes."

"No." Luke said, his eyes catching sight of the tanned boy in question across the field. He was running around on the grass, his friends kicking a ball about as he watched, a smile on his face as he opened his mouth to yell something at his friends that Luke couldn't decipher. He watched Calum run around on the grass, and his shirt was pulled over his head after a few minutes and cast to the side as the boy waved his hands in the air after scoring a goal.

Luke continued to watch as Calum jogged around before the boy walked to get his water from where he was lying in the grass. As he bent down, Calum looked around, noticing Luke watching him, and his face cracked into a smirk as he ran back to his friends to continue playing.

Luke was pulled out of his daydream when Ashton laughed. "Yeah you definitely don't like him." The curly haired boy said, taking a long drag on his cigarette as Luke blushed.

"I don't." The blonde mumbled into the grass where he had buried his face.

"Sure." Ashton said. "And I don't love Miss Garcia."

"Who's Miss Garcia?" Luke said, oblivious.

"Our Spanish teacher?" Ashton prompted. "Do you ever listen in that class?"

"No... not unless I want to hear the two of you flirting in Spanish and I want to vomit."

"We don't flirt!" Ashton said defensively, but Luke could see the blush on his cheekbones.

"Oh sure. I'm not that bad at Spanish. I know what you're saying." Luke laughed, lying on his tummy and resting his head on his folded arms.

"Okay maybe we do flirt a little bit. But I really like her. I can't help it, she's amazing." Ashton said dreamily, and Luke smacked Ashton's knee to snap him out of it.

"Shut up that's gross." Luke said, basking in the sun and pushing his sunglasses on.

"It's love."

"It's cringe."

"You're cringe."

"Good one." Luke closed his eyes, letting the warmth of the sun wash over him.

"I'm gonna go for it." Ashton said determinedly.

"Okay, you do that." Luke yawned.

Luke's phone buzzed from where it was lying in the grass next to him, and when he checked it to find a text from Calum.

cant wait for tonight :)

Luke's stomach twisted nervously when he thought of the party that he had agreed to go to, and this wasn't made any better when he looked over at Calum standing on the other side of the field. The boy was standing there, one hand shading his face from the sun as he looked over at Luke. When he saw the blond boy look up, he raised a hand to wave. Luke felt incredibly guilty when he thought about how much he regretted agreeing to go to a party with Calum.