Chapter 27 - Treachery

Good day my dears! Thank you for the nice words I received from the last chapter, so glad we're all on the same page :) It's time to disrupt things a bit, yeah? Magpaparamdam na yung tinik sa dibdib, so kalma lang tayo ha. 

Office politics is really, really tough. And when you have a measure of success, not everyone likes it. I remember in one of my previous jobs, I shared a really nice relationship with my colleagues. Then I was promoted to a higher rank, the business underwent so many challenges, and I was told to toughen up even to my colleagues who were now under me. 

In a flash, what used to be a tight friendship went awry. I was suddenly having lunch alone, because these so-called friends moved on to a new group and were having lunch in the room right beside me. Since loner naman ako talaga, it was ok, I was able to watch Kalye Serye undisturbed, hahaha. 

But still, imagine the sadness of a friendship affected by work?  All because I toughened up on them. Hindi ma-separate ang work from personal. Later on, I was told they have been talking about me behind my back. The friendship never recovered.

So read on how envy can destroy a person and drive them to harm innocent people.  I wouldn;t wish this kind of betrayal on my worst enemies, it's really painful to be accused of something you didn't do.  Have a great day beshies :)

It was audit season in the office, one of the most dreaded seasons each employee faces in RRF Consulting. With audit as one of its core businesses, compliance to operating procedures was closely monitored in the office, and internal audit findings were a basis for employee performance evaluations.

The auditors have already begun their work of sifting through documents to ensure that everything was in order in the months that passed. Maine and Richard were given the clearance that Offshore Division was spot on with compliance, that everything was in order in terms of expenditures, disbursements and liquidations. Maine was very careful with documentation and made sure all their expenses were liquidated within the period allowed.

It was therefore a shock to her when she received a "Notice to Explain" memo about unliquidated vouchers way back when she was still with Richard Sr. The memo included photocopies of her signature on cash releases to her in various amounts. She knocked on Richard's door to consult on the matter.

"Sir, busy ka ba?"

"Maine, 'lika bakit parang may problema?"

She sat down and showed him the memo with its attachments. Richard quickly sifted through the documents.

"Huwag ka matakot dito, baka na-misplace lang yung liquidation mo. Pakita mo na lang yung file copy mo na liquidated na."

"Sir, hindi yun ang problema. I don't remember these transactions, pero pirma ko yung nasa documents. Maingat ako sa ganyan, hindi ko alam kung bakit may pirma ako diyan, sir."

"Sigurado ka? You have to be sure kasi pag may exception na ganyan, iimbestigahan yan."

Maine was already close to tears with fear. It seemed like someone was framing her for an anomaly and she was really scared. Whoever did this even took pains learning her signature.

"Sir, pano ko pwedeng i-prove na hindi ako gumawa nito? Almost ten thousand worth of advances in just two months? San ko naman po ginamit yan? Usually humihingi lang po ako ng pondo for notarizing documents lang o kaya pang-gas ni Billy sa motor niya pag may idedeliver na docs. Saka kung talagang hindi ako nagliquidate, bakit ako pinayagang makakuha ng pera paulit-ulit?"

"Baby.........wag ka na umiyak. I'll get to the bottom of this. I believe you, don't worry. Sige balik ka na sa workstation mo pag ok ka na, iwan muna kita ha. I want to speak to dad."

With a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder, he left her to see his dad. He knew Chona was behind this, it was so obvious that the woman had been picking on Maine ever since she was hired. Richard Sr. was giving instructions to Chona when Richard knocked. Upon seeing his facial expression, Richard Sr. immediately sent Chona out of the room. Richard closed the door to his dad's office and sat on one of the chairs.

"Dad, may problema. Take a look at these documents."

He showed his dad the notice and attachments. Richard Sr. browsed through the documents carefully.

"I talked to Maine already dad. Hindi daw siya ang may gawa niyan pero nagtataka siya bakit may pirma niya."

"Madali lang i-resolve ito eh. Let's ask for the original copies of the vouchers. Patignan natin sa signature verification expert kung yung signature is authentic. Hihingi lang tayo kay Maine ng specimen signature niya for comparison."

"Pero dad sabi rin niya gayang gaya daw yung pirma niya eh."

"We'll see. Maraming considerations kasi ang signature verification. Yung stroke ng pen and diin ng pagkakapirma makikita natin sa actual document. Photocopy lang ito, this does not tell us anything."

Richard Sr. was silent for a moment, thinking of other ways to fix the problem.

"RJ, find out from the auditor kung si Maine lang ang may unliquidated vouchers na si Chona ang nag disburse."

"Sige dad, thank you."

"Son, why are you so invested sa kaso ni Maine? Alam kong empleyado mo siya pero, parang iba yung concern mo eh."

"Dad.......girlfriend ko na po si Maine. Pero ayaw niya ipaalam dito kasi nabubully siya ng mga tao, pinaparinggan na nga siya dahil sa promotion niya eh. Ayoko makadagdag sa problema niya. I tried to convince her na ilipat na lang natin siya ng subsidiary or division, pero ayaw niya."

Richard Sr. smiled widely.

"Di nga? Alam mo, gusto ko yang si Maine. Good choice, son. Pero bakit hindi mo sinasabi sakin? Ikaw talaga ha."

"Yaan mo dad, dadalhin ko siya sa bahay minsan. One Sunday, lunch tayo sa bahay. Napakilala na niya ko sa nanay niya. Mukha naman ok ako."

"That's good. I never liked Tania for you, son. I'm glad you're over her. Alagaan mo si Maine, ok? Huwag ka mag-alala, maaayos natin ito."

-----

Maine tried to concentrate on work but her thoughts kept going back to the audit finding against her. She worked hard to maintain a professional attitude here in her job. But all her efforts are at the risk of being challenged by someone who was maliciously attacking her through this audit finding.

"Ms. Maine....."

"Billy.....may kailangan ka?"

"Ma'am......pwede ko ba kayong makausap sandali? Dun po tayo sa mini-con."

"Sige."

It was lunchbreak and most of the employees already left for lunch. They walked quickly to the mini- conference room to talk. Maine shut the door to make sure no one would hear them.

"May problema ka ba, Billy?"

"Ma'am, matagal ko na gustong sabihin sayo ito eh. Si Ms. Chona po sinisiraan ka sa mga secretaries. Sinasabi niya na umaasenso ka lang dahil malapit ka kina Sir RJ. Tapos kanina, kinakalat niya na may kaso ka daw sa audit, papa-ibestigahan ka daw dahil nakadispalco ka ng pera dito sa office."

"Salamat Billy ha. Hindi ko alam kung bakit galit na galit siya sakin."

"Mag-iingat ka sa kanya Ms. Maine. Huwag ka mag-aalala tutulungan kita. Hahanap ako ng paraan para makatulong sayo."

"Billy wag ka gagawa ng pwedeng ikasira mo ha? Salamat sa tulong pero wag naman yung ikapapahamak mo."

"Yes ma'am. Mabait ka saming mga messengers, hindi kami naniniwala na gagawa ka ng hindi maganda."

That afternoon, Maine submitted her statement on the findings, claiming that she did not sign the vouchers and was welcome to being questioned for further investigation on the anomaly. The statement was formally received and noted. Richard Sr. was notified of the latest development and received the original documents on the case as he requested.

Chona saw the documents marked confidential and smiled. Her sinister thoughts gave her satisfaction over the possibilities of kicking out Maine from the company.

"Tignan natin ang lakas mo ngayon, Maine Mendoza. Tignan natin kung paano mo lulusutan ito."