(1)

H E A T H

It's hard to pinpoint the exact moment during this conversation that I decided I would rather be scraping shit off the inside of a toilet bowl, than standing here and listening to the over excited redhead talk without taking a moment to breathe. She's covered a lot in the last eighteen minutes.

She's explained in great detail how she prefers her eggs cooked. She's informed me of the calorie count in a single slice of Poppa Joe's Pizza. That was rather disappointing. I love Poppa Joe's but as a med student, I'll never be able to eat it again. She's also moved on to listing all of the names of her childhood pet's. That was after going through her family lineage.

I wasn't here by choice. There's a frail fifteen year old girl at home who I sat with during her chemo this morning. That girl, my sister, Sarah, she practically pushed me out of the house and forced me to attend this 'fiesta'. The worn out sombreros hanging on the walls that Jade, the homeowner, had collected during a contiki around Spain, Italy and France were hardly enough to call this an all out Mexican rave.

Of course, I couldn't forget the chips and salsa on the coffee table. The coffee table which was strewn with bongs, ash-trays and bottles of alcohol. She'd decided to host an end of summer rave and wanted to give it a theme. Did Summer ever end in Miami? It was safe to assume that the high schoolers huddled in the corner doing shots out of the bottle caps weren't worried about themes. They just wanted to get blackout drunk.

Jade had allowed her little brother, Braydon or Bray to invite all of his buddies along. High school started back on Monday after summer vacation. He was going to be a senior. We didn't know each other all that well. I didn't attend most of these parties because being a med student meant a hell of a lot of time with my nose in a text book. Not to mention I took care of Sarah as often as I could.

But Bray was nice. A little out there, but nice. Jade and I met at Miami Dade College in our first year. That was three years ago. We were friends but we didn't spend all of our time together. Despite her best efforts to drag me along to all of her boozefests, most of our socialising remained on campus.

The house started to feel small. The longer that I was trapped with this Beth girl- I think that was her name- the more that it felt as if the walls were closing in. The student house wasn't small. It was five bedrooms and the living area was open plan with wide windows wrapping right around. We stood in the living room space the couches which were old and patterned, stained with liquid patches and cigarette burns.

Torn posters were falling off the faded wallpaper, the curtains were too small for the frames and the hardwood floors were covered in small dents from being traipsed across in high heels. The kitchen and dining area were on the other side of the room.

The only reason the countertops weren't covered in dishes was because Jade made all of her roommates buy paper plates and plastic cutlery so that it could be thrown in the trash. The six seater table wobbled when it was leaned on but apparently that added to the challenge of each beer pong match that was hosted.

The one ongoing at the moment was less than thrilling but it was more interesting than the girl beside me who had shimmied closer and sounded as if she was detailing how to make her favourite flavoured milkshake.

Before I could come up with an excuse to leave, I felt a warm hand wrap around my bicep and when I glanced down beside me, I was met with a pair of blue eyes and a long head of raven hair. The girl who had wrapped around me was gorgeous. She was stunning to say the least. But I stood there in confusion as she smiled up at me and winked. "Sorry i'm late," her melodic voice cut through the volume of the music and intoxicated shouting.