35 | REAL LIFE

Riley hummed to her daughter as she got her out the car, carrying her on her side as she got the bags of shopping that Chris had so desperately asked her to get

Riley hummed to her daughter as she got her out the car, carrying her on her side as she got the bags of shopping that Chris had so desperately asked her to get. The action was a normal part of her life, however, and she almost didn't notice the many cars parked outside of their home. Almost.

She slowed down as she made her way up the stairs leading up to her door, turning around to look at each car and frowning when she didn't recognize them. Perhaps they were for next door. Perhaps Chris had invited some people over. She didn't remember anything planned in her diary or Chris bringing anything up.

"Now why would he bring anything up if it's meant to be a surprise, huh, girlie?" She mumbled to the toddler munching away on a biscuit, ignoring the dribble that fell from her mouth and onto her blouse. That was something that was now also a normal part of her life. She made way to opening the door, looking around with confusion when everything was exactly as she'd left it three hours before. There were no extra shoes or coats, no pillows misplaced, no food left out. Perhaps her bored mind was over imagining things.

"Guess I really miss having adults around, my love." She snickered to herself with the shake of her head, picking everything up and taking it all to the kitchen, setting Amourette down into her high chair while she set everything up.

She groaned when her phone rang, going over to her bag to grab it and answering call as she continued to put everything away. "Yes, Christopher, I'm home now." She said before he could even greet her, and she smiled when she could practically hear him rolling his eyes. "What do you want me to do now?"

"What makes you think I want you to do something?"

"Chris, we've been under the same room for over a year now, and friends for even longer, I know when you want me to do something."

"Well, you're not wrong. I need you to check the size of the barbeque grill because I went by a store that was selling some on sale and I need to know if it's worth buying a new one. Pretty please."

"Okay," Riley answered, moving to pick up Amourette so that she wouldn't leave her on her own. "Just grabbing Amourette, and also, why would we need a new barbecue grill? Our current one is just fine."

"Well, these seem bigger but I'm not sure," Chris mumbled on the other end before sighing softly. "Plus I'm a compulsive buyer for some of these things you know?"

"Yeah, I do," she laughed, walking out the kitchen and to the living room where the garden door was, slowing down in her steps when she saw through the windows that everything was rearranged outside, and the barbeque grill was set up already. "Christopher," she said in a warning tone as she opened the doors, stepping and nearly jumping out of her skin when a large group of people came rushing from one side of the house and into the garden, all shouting "Happy Birthday!". She shook her head and ended the call when she saw that Chris was the one leading the group, and the ones following behind was pretty much the entire Marvel franchise? Well, at least those she was in regular contact with.