Chapter 11

Maya was heartbroken to find that when she finally got to meet the man of her dreams, he turned out to be a grave disappointment. Not only was Damian unromantic, but he barely looked at her. He took her out of the window of the room he had trapped her in, away from her aunt and her life, and it was less than the perfect romantic adventure she had dreamed of. In fact, it was nothing like she had ever dreamed of—being dragged through alleyways and streets of the town by someone who hadn't said a word to her since he had persuaded her to leave with him.

As Damian carried her away, she wondered what her future was going to be now, as she didn't have any idea where she was going or how long she would be there. He hadn't told her anything and didn't seem likely to.

It didn't take but half an hour for Damian to take Maya to the clan mansion and into the little office Lucius preferred to use for meetings. Maya wasn't exactly enthusiastic about being there, and when Lucius saw how she clung to his hand as they walked in the door, he knew that, again, Damian had done his job right. He was a charming and good looking boy. It was the simplest solution to have him seduce the girls in order to gain their trust, but the look on his face said he didn't much like it. Maya was worried when Lucius pressed an intercom button on his phone and asked for a woman, Beth, to come in.

"Please take Maya to her room. She'll be with us for a while," Lucius instructed the woman.

Maya turned to Damian questioningly, hoping he was going to explain something, but he couldn't even look at her. He just took a seat in front of Lucius' desk and settled himself there, letting her know he wasn't going to explain anything or go with her. Maya felt sad and betrayed. She didn't know what to think or to do, other than to go along with everything until it all made sense.

Once she was gone, Lucius gave Damian his full attention and got down to business. "I need you to go on another job," he began, unsurprised by the sigh of exhaustion that answered his unspoken question. Damian had been running back and forth for two nights now. After bringing Chase back Friday night, he spent the night hours planting thoughts into Maya's head to make her dream of him and see him everywhere she went, even though he never left the clan building. It took a lot out of him to put those thoughts in her head. Lucius actually felt a little pang of guilt because he was about to ask him to do exactly the same thing again.

"Why can't someone else do it?" Damian asked, not knowing why he was the only one being asked to do everything. He was starving already and he had only just got in. He had taken two blood packs before leaving to pick up Maya and now he was hungry enough to have the same thing again. The psychological tasks were the hardest and they drained him to the core. He needed a few days to recover.

"Damian, you're Amelia's guard. You always have been and you always will be. You're the only one who can truly identify her. We need you to keep these girls safe just as you would if each was Amelia herself," Lucius explained.

None of the other elders would have bothered giving him an explanation because they didn't think he deserved it. But just because he wasn't an elder, he was still of old blood and he was Amelia's guard. He was the only one who truly knew her and could keep her safe. Lucius knew that explaining it to him would make him give it his full attention rather than drifting in and out of every job with no incentive.

"Chase was the only one we needed you to turn. She is the only one who has no idea about our existence. The others will not require the same persuasion, as you've seen from Maya's life. But this next job is a little tougher. We need you to integrate yourself into Kaitlin's life." Then Lucius slipped a small folder across the desk to Damian containing various pictures he assumed was Kaitlin, a shop front and numerous other people, as well as documents that he would have to read before he started his task. One was the life history of Kaitlin and the other was a similar document for someone called Finlay.