Eighteen: The Witch

Monique's POV

"Hello!" We are greeted by overly-excited Violet the moment we step into the doorstep. I mean, she doesn't even get so excited when she sees me going backhome every time.

"Violet!" Ellie greets back with equally excited tone.

I have decided to bring Ellie to my house after she kind of proposed to me to be her girlfriend. Kind of. Of course, we went for lunch at my favourite eatery - her parents' restaurant. I got to see her father for the first time. She told me he bought her a sound system back from Canada (or was it other place? I can't remember because i was just watching her) and installed it in her room because she loves singing so much.

"I was so happy when sister called and said that you're coming over!" says Violet and she hugs Ellie tightly.

They are that close, but I am not jealous because I am perfectly positive that Violet is straight. She told me she likes Mikhail.

"I am happy to see you too. Now shall we continue with the game we played last time?" Ellie suggests.

They played a video game together last time when Ellie stayed for a few nights. But no, I am not going to let her have Ellie today. She has just become mine officially just now and there is no way I am letting her go.

"Violet, I need to do something with Ellie. So... she might not able to play with you, yeah?" I say and look at Ellie.

She seems to understand the signals I am sending her so she coughs a little and says, "well... maybe next time?"

Violet can only pout and nod in disappointment. She is already sixteen but she still acts like a small kid, that's why her nickname is baby Violet. "Fine then, you better play with me next time alright?"

Ellie grins and nods cheerfully. A cough interrupts the happy moment among the three of us, the stairs creek as someone is walking down.

"You're back, Monique."

I look up and greet her with a slight bow, "Good evening mom."

"Good evening Mrs. Williams, I am Ellie Carlson. Monique's friend." says Ellie calmly.

I have already warned her that my mother might be at home since today is a Friday. She seems to have practiced the line she is going to say in her head before we came.

"I see. Why didn't you tell me that your friend is coming over?" My mother asks me with her narrow eyes as she sits down on the sofa.

"I...erm..."

"I want sister to bring Ellie over." says Violet. That is not a very good choice of words but still, I appreciate it.

"I see." My mother nods and picks up the newspaper from the coffee table in front of her. "How old are you?"

Ellie flinches a little when my mother looks at her suddenly. I know my mother's stare is thousand times scarier than mine, it sends shiver down my spine as well. "I-I am 18."

"She's younger than you, Monique." Where did you meet her?" my mother asks me without looking at me. Her eyes are now focused on the paper instead of us.

We are standing there awkwardly in the middle of the living room. I know Ellie is feeling uncomfortable but she has to bear with it.

"We met on the bus." I answer and pray that she would stop asking questions.

I saw Ellie fidget a little just now so I use my pinky to brush her arm, surreptitiously.

"Bus? So you don't really know her?" my mother probes.