Chapter 3 - The Wrong Girl.

Amy Jackson

The first two lessons go pretty quickly and soon it's lunchtime. I'm currently sitting with Sofia at a corner table and discussing a project we've been assigned for in Home Economics, we have to create a design for a bedroom refurbishment, so I have my notepad out to write our ideas down but currently, the page is blank.

"Ok, wait first we need to think of a theme" I instruct.

"Exactly, what theme do you think we should do?" She questions. The truth is I love almost every theme but it actually depends on my mood, so I decided to just list the popular ones and see what Sofia thinks about them.

"Well, there are a lot of popular ones this year for example, Mid-century modern, Industrial, Nautical, Scandinavian, Bohemian, Farmhouse, Urban Modern, shabby chic etc. I can't choose I like all of them" I say helplessly.

"I think we should go for..." I start off deep in thought.

"SCANDINAVIAN," We both say at the same time and then we both break in laughter.

"We're so alike, we're gonna be best friends." She says and I pause and Sofia notices.

"Hey what's wrong?" She questions, her voice full of concern.

"Oh it's nothing, it's just that it's great to hear that from someone." I say looking up at her.

"Why? Haven't your friends said that to you before?" she exclaims.

"They have but they never were" I say upset.

"What do you mean, did they do something to you?" She asks.

Oh no, Oh no no no no.

I've said too much.

Amy why can't you just keep your mouth shut?

Now she wants to know.

You really have to be so dramatic, don't you?

I mentally beat myself up for being such a big mouth forgetting the fact that Sofia is looking at expectantly.

Breath Amy.

"Amy, AMY! What's wrong?" She enquires.

"Hmm Oh Sorry, I zoned out." I lie.

"You miss your friends from London don't you?" She interrogates.

I think I'm just going to go on the same road as here and agree, hopefully, it will stop her from asking further questions and discovering the truth.

"Um. Yeah, I do" I say, hesitating to look up.

"Don't worry Amy it's ok. Now, where were we with our project? Oh right, we need to pick the size of our bedroom. I think it's best if we choose one of our bedroom sizes since it will be better to relate with the furnishing, what do you think?" She says as she writes down our bedroom theme on the notepad. Glad that she dropped the previous topic I smile and reply back.

"I agree, what is your bedroom size?" I ask.

"I have a double bedroom, what about you?" She replies.

"I have a queen bedroom with an en suite" I say not wanting to brag.

"Oh my god, Look who's the rich girl" She exaggerates but I can tell she's only trying to be friendly, so I just giggle.

"Ok, don't you think we should see both bedrooms first?" I suggest.

"Good idea, we'll start off with mine. How about after school you come to my place and we'll have some girl time and work on our project, then you can invite me to your house another day so we can look at your bedroom and choose which one we should use to do our project."