Chapter 25 - The Art of Trying

"Keya, c'mon get out of that bed it's been three weeks now!" Kelly badged into my room like a racket and wrenched the duvet off me.

I groaned as I curled into a ball. "Ugh!" I protested.

"Bed! Out! Now!" She used her sharp, non-argumentative tone. When she was like this I had no choice but to obey her. So I got up.

She took one look at me and then her face softened. "Oh sweetie, you've been crying again."

"Have not." I grumbled, wiping the bags from my eyes. I knew she could tell by how red they were.

She attempted to hug me but I side-tracked her movements quickly. I couldn't allow myself a breakdown again.

"You want to talk about it?" She asked as she sat herself on the corner of my bed, while watching me do my morning routine.

"Mom, you know what happened. I already told you."

"Yeah but, by the time you actually did, you were a sobbing mess, I couldn't get a word you said."

I shrugged, really not wanting to think about that day. I ignored her pressing look as I grabbed a clean tee and pulled it over me.

"Anyway, Sav is downstairs." She informed.

"What?" I gasped. "Oh no, she's going to drag me out again isn't she?"

"You know she has my full permission to do so." My mother had the audacity to give me her evil smirk.

"Ugh!" I flailed my hands in the air.

"You're heart-broken. I understand. But it's not the end of the world." She told me.

"You don't understand, mom. You've never been heart-broken. You're lucky that way. You found the love of your life and everything just worked out perfectly." I complained.

My mother sighed and crossed her arms to her chest. Her lips twisted into a thoughtful purse. "You make me wish that I could've gotten my heart broken. Maybe then, I'd have some idea of how to help you."

I sighed too. "Don't worry mom, I'll be fine. It's not every day that a boy breaks my heart and I can't turn to my best friend for consolation because he's the cause of it."

"Now you're making me feel depressed." She pouted her lips.

I shook my head. "Just go mom, tell Sav to come upstairs."

"Can't do that. I have orders specifically from her, for you to be ready in twenty minutes. She's taking you out to see a movie."

I frowned. "It doesn't make sense why she can't come up."

"Distraction, apparently. Plus, being in your room is depressing these days." She shrugged as if stating a fact.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. I'll get ready now."

She smiled and clasped her hands together. "Goody! You'll be getting out of the house again!"

I ignored the taunt and headed straight for the shower. It was a quick one and I didn't bother dressing up smartly as I put on casual jeans and a t-shirt with a hooded jacket on top.

When I got downstairs, my mother and Sav were talking animatedly about something I didn't catch because by the time I entered into the kitchen, the conversation died down.

"Key!" Sav's exclamation revived the awkward silence and soon my mother busied herself with packing breakfast in a plate for me. My lack of appetite for the last month concerned her so much that whenever she got the chance, she would put more food on my plate, as if that was going to change anything.