Chapter 22- A Trip to Hogsmeade

Ever since October started the third-year students were buzzing with excitement about going on their very first trip to the village of Hogsmeade. They had technically already been there before when they arrived on the station platform, but during these little excursion trips they would finally be able to explore wherever they like. They could purchase a bag of Dungbombs from the wizarding world-famous joke shop, Zonko's, or choose to grab a few butterbeers at the Three Broomsticks with friends. It would be the start of fun trips they could look forward to for years to come and this was finally the year for the Class of 45'.

"Would you like to go with me?"

"I'm afraid I'll have to decline."

Frankie and Daphne were just about to enter the Great Hall for breakfast when Magnus Warren, one of the Ravenclaw boys of their year, had approached them. Although, Daphne prayed that he had waited to ask Frankie the dreaded, embarrassing question, part of her knew only the Gryffindor boys had enough courage to even attempt to slice through the protective barrier Tom placed around her. She hadn't had an offer all morning. Meanwhile, it was Daphne's third. Magnus had worked up the courage to invite Daphne to spend time with him in Hogsmeade and naturally she shot him down at once.

He walked away from them in a slumped defeat, sulking off to who knows where, while Daphne just continued walking towards the Great Hall, like she hadn't just crushed a boy's spirit to pieces. She wasn't acting as much as her normal self this morning. She had more of Tom's normal foul attitude, while Tom's attitude was more irritable than normal from getting the exact same question asked to him. He sat at Slytherin table looking utterly exhausted from having to give the same cold, but polite, answer so many times.

"Daphne—that was the third boy this morning." Frankie exclaimed, as they were sitting down at Gryffindor table. First, it had been Mason Gaines, who had been waiting on the stairs by the Fat Lady for Daphne to come out. Then, right after his fellow Ravenclaw struck out, Antonius Radford stepped in almost immediately after. It was becoming a bit extensive.

"You think that's bad you clearly haven't seen Belle today." Daphne sighed, taking up the seat beside her. "I bet all those fourth-year boys are feeling pretty embarrassed right about now..."

"Why are they doing this anyway? What's going on?"

"It's because it's the first trip to Hogsmeade."

"Really? Why would you need to ask someone? We're all going down together anyway."

"They're just using the occasion to try to start something. It's best to just ignore them, until they get serious." Daphne added, taking a sip of tea. Frankie was not quite sure what she had meant but thought it best just to keep eating and leave her alone for the moment. The last thing Daphne needed was to answer her clueless questions. She needed candy and fun, which were two things that would be promised in the Hogsmeade visit. Once they all finished eating, the group of students who were going to the village met by the main entrance.

"Remember you are representatives of the school. Please behave yourselves..." Professor Merrythought went on and on. Usually, Merrythought was not a terribly strict professor. However, being put in charge of a bunch of teenagers when they were not in her classroom naturally set her a little on edge. Finally, once she finished her long lecture about rules and boundaries, she and the group set off for Hogsmeade. They walked in a pack down the road, until they arrived at the village a few minutes later. The crowd immediately dispersed, most of them off to Zonko's Joke Shop or Honeydukes, trying to get things before it got too crowded. Tom stood in the middle of the road, not knowing where exactly to go. It was not like he really wanted to be there. He had only come along because Frankie was getting her permission slip signed and Mrs. Cole thought she needed to sign his slip as well. He really had no reason to go, but...