Chapter 68-A Promise

Drew's Pov:

2 days.

48 hours.

2,880 minutes.

172,800 seconds.

Seconds felt like minutes.

Minutes felt like hours.

Hours, felt like days.

Lily had not awaken.

Dr. Marcus said that it was completely normal due to the amount of drugs in her bloodstream.

For her body to detox, it had to shut down for a little while, to completely focus on her health.

She was not strong enough to be transferred to a closer hospital, closer to the pack, but that wasn't the matter at hand.

A tube was placed down her throat to help her breath even breathes. Bandages were replaced every few hours, leaving the few infected cuts to heal.

What seemed more detrimental, was the almost of gauze and cast wrapped around her body.

Her face appeared to be the biggest issue, not because some of the damage would be permanent, which I did not care, for she would always be beautiful, but interior scar and brain tissue.

Lily was kept under at least two watchful doctors at the most, along with two rotating nurses, who would come and clean her up.

It was around noon, when Lily had returned from her daily scans, that were being taken in another room, which I wasn't allowed inside.

I laid by her side at all times. I refused to leave, only allowing myself to go the distance to the bathroom next store.

Lily's nurse, Bekah, would be here soon to bring me lunch, as I refused to go downstairs to the cafeteria.

All I do is watch and wait.

Wait for what?

I don't know, but today I got the feeling that maybe something would change.

I had my pack members bring over paperwork, so I could work, while keeping a watchful eye over my mate.

Even elbow deep into paperwork, I couldn't help but steal a few glances at Lily.

At first, I thought I blinked, or moved, but that wasn't the case.

At the corner of my eye I saw Lily's eye twitch, anyone could have missed it.

I quickly moved the paperwork off of my lap, and neared her sleeping form.

"Lily?" I called, hope rising in my chest.

Another twitch; she could hear me.

I was getting too excited; this couldn't be real.

"Lily, can you hear me?" I asked, thinking she could respond, or make a grunting noise or something.

Nothing.

"Lily, it's Drew." I continued. "I need you to wake up, please, just open your eyes...for me...please, Lil."

Then it happened.

As if a light switch was turned on.

Her eyes opened all at once, before she snapped them back shut, before trying again to open them, and succeeding.

"Hey Lil." I said, choking on a sob.

I was so happy.

"Don't try to talk." I said, nurturing her.

She made no sudden movements or facial expressions, which surprised me, because I expected her to freak out.

She just blinked.

"You're safe now. You're in the hospital." I continued to explain, yet no emotions appeared over her blank face.

"Lily, can you hear me?" I asked, growing worried.

She blinked.

"Do you know who I am?" I asked, growing more and more nervous.

She blinked.

"NURSE!" I yelled, as loud as I can.

Bekah came storming in, shoving my lunch tray off to the side in a swift manner.

"Call the doctor ASAP!" She yelled, to whoever was out the door.

"Lily, My name is Bekah, I'm your nurse. I need you to show me that you can hear me." She explained, getting close to Lily's eye range.

Lily did not move or speak.

"Lily, listen to the nurse. She's here to help you." I coaxed.

Nothing.

Dr. Marcus came storming in, practically shoving Bekah out of the way.

He grabbed his flashlight out of his pocket, and began to flash it in Lily's face.

"Lily. This is Dr. Marcus. You are in the hospital. You suffered a magnitude of injuries." He grasped Lily's hand. "Can you squeeze my hand?"

Lily's hand laid limp in his palm.

She only blinked.

Doc sighed in a concentrated manner, and flashed the light in her eyes.

Her eyes would move from side to side, to avoid the brightness, then snapped his fingers near her ear to see it twitch.

"She's lucid." Dr. Marcus commented.

"She can't move?" I questioned.

"She can see and hear, but isn't physically capable or healthy enough to physically respond. It isn't rare, but it isn't common either. My theory is she will be able to move and talk in time. I will look over today's scans and see if there are any changes, but in the mean time, I suggest you help coax her out." Dr. Marcus explained.

"What about the mate bound?" I asked. "You said when she woke, I would be able to heal her."

"Yes, cuts and bruises, but her injuries are too extensive. They need to be healed naturally." Doc explained, sympathetically, and turned and left.

I sighed in frustration, and ran a hand through my hair, before bringing my chair close to Lily's head.

"Hey Lily." I greeted. "Doc said that it's okay to not be able to talk for now."

Lily had only turned her eyes towards me to let me know she could hear me.

"I missed you." I continued. "I missed you so much. I want you to know I never stopped. Ever. I hate myself for getting into that stupid argument. I hate that I said those horrid things to you in the first place; I had no right. I won't even ask for your forgiveness, because if I were with you, none of this would have happened. You would have been safe. This..." I said, gesturing towards her broken bones and bruises. "This is all my fault."

Her only response was that she blinked.

She stared at me intently with her big blue eyes, not letting a split emotion split through.

"So...so I will be there with you through thick and thin. Your recovery is not going to be easy. They put alot of drugs through your bloodstream; your body is still going through withdrawals, but you don't have to worry about any of it, because I'll take care of it all." I spoke. "I love you Lily, I will never loose you again. I promise." I said, before placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"I promise." I said, kissing her hand, in my grasp. "I promise."

************************************