Chapter 16 - Jennifer

Oh my god, was he going to do what I was thinking?

"Izzie, a year or so ago I wouldn't have ever imagined I'd be doing this. I didn't think I'd ever find someone as beautiful, compassionate and loving as you to love and to be loved by and I'm honestly the most luckiest person in all of existence to have you as mine. I love you more than you'd ever know and I can't ever imagine being without you. You're my other half Izzie. I never believed in soul mates or true love or any of that, but ever since I met you, I believe in all of it because that's exactly what you are to me, my soulmate, my one true love. I've never been so sure about anything in my life as I am about you, and I've never loved someone as much as I love you! I want to spend my entire life with you, I want to love you forever! So Izzie, will you do me the honour and become my Queen? Will you marry me?" Dimitri said as he stared up at me with a nervous smile on his face, his eyes glowing so bright, holding out a box with the most beautiful ring I've ever seen.

I couldn't believe it, I was so surprised. I felt myself smiling, of course I wanted to marry him, I wanted to be with him forever. I was about to say yes when suddenly I couldn't.

I just couldn't say it.

This was such a big decision and I was so young and it was just all so fast. And on top of that, Dimitri was a Demon and not just any Demon, but the Demon King of Rovana, while I was just a human. Would my parents agree with this? Would I be able to leave them? Would I be able to give up my entire life here on Earth? And humans age fast while Demons don't age for centuries upon centuries, how was this going to work? I needed to think about this, discuss all this and I couldn't in this very second.

Dimitri looked more nervous now as I didn't say anything and I felt so horrible but I just couldn't. I didn't even know what to say. I didn't know how to explain the things that were troubling me. I didn't want him to think I didn't want to be with him, because I want to, more than ever!

"Dimitri... I... I can't..." I couldn't continue because Dimitri gave me the most heartbroken look ever and it really hurt to watch. He was hurt, really hurt.

He got up, realizing I was rejecting his proposal. He didn't say anything as he turned away from me. I was too scared to say anything, I knew I really hurt him.

"Dimitri, I love you but-"

"But what? Not enough to want to marry me?" He cut me off and he sounded so bitter, yet so hurt.

"That's not it Dimitri! You know I love you more than anything!" I exclaimed as I tried to reach out to him, but he just moved away.

"Then why don't you want to marry me? Is it because you humans love to date a bunch of people before settling down? Was I just one of the many people you'd date before you decided to settle down? I mean, I'm your what, second boyfriend." He sounded so angry and I shook my head. He was jumping to conclusions too fast.

"That's not it Dimitri, it's just too much all at once! There's so much to think about!" I exclaimed, hoping he'd understand.

"Is it because of Tyler? Because you've developed feelings for him?" He asked and I felt so frustrated at this point. I didn't know how to explain to him.

"Dimitri, no! This has nothing to do with Tyler or anyone! I love you and only you okay! The thing is, I'm so young! I'm only 18 Dimitri, I have my whole life ahead of me, my life's just starting. And also, I'm a human, I'll age fast and die way before you even age slightly. And also, taking on the responsibility of a Queen, it's all so much, so fast!" I tried explaining as he listened intently.