4

"How are you doing babe?" Ashley asks from the other side of the line. I shake my head, wishing she was here.

"Not good Ashley. I wish you were here. I wish Emily were here. I miss you guys so much." I say sadly, staring out the window at the vast forest surrounding me.

"I know honey. I wish I was there too. You just have to be strong. Leah needs you." She says kindly. I nod, holding back tears. I can't let Leah down. She needs me to be strong for her.

"It's just hard Ash. He was my best friend. Then I had to go mess it up." I say brokenly, still not recovered from the whole situation.

"You didn't mess it up. You did what was best for the both of you. And it wasn't one sided, he felt the same way." She tried to comfort. I shake my head, running my hands through my dark hair.

"I just wish I had met him first. Things would be so much better then." My life would be better. Leah would have a father. Not just a weak mother who can't handle her own problems, let alone a toddler.

"I know Morgan. But that's not how it turned out. You can't dwell on pointless wishes." I nod in understanding, even though she can't see me. I sniffle, trying to calm myself.

"Let's talk about something happy Ashley. How is Peter?" I change the subject, wiping away the tears.

"He is good. Busy, but good. I hardly see him anymore. Something is going on, but he is sworn to secrecy. It's really annoying. Why can't he at least tell me? I'm his mate for Goddess's sake!" She complains frustratedly. I offer a light laugh.

"I'm sorry Ashley. Just know that he would tell you if he could. It's probably nothing anyways. Just like budget problems." I try and assure her.

"You're probably right. I have been trying to not worry but it's hard since he seems so stressed. I just hope it is nothing big." Ashley vents. I try to understand to my best ability. However, I have never really been in this position.

"Probably not Ashley. Nothing interesting ever happens. The only thing betas get stressed over is the budget or trying to resolve a pack disturbance. Trust me, I know." I hear her sigh from the other side.

"I guess. Besides that though, everything is good. I have been busy with aiding the Luna. She is pregnant so she is struggling a little bit. The symptoms are hitting her hard, so I am helping out as much as I can. She is really nice so it's easy to be around her." She says, her mood brightening. I smile.

"That's awesome Ashley." I say as I hear a faint cry from upstairs. I sigh, standing.

"I gotta go Ash. Leah woke up and I was gonna take her to Mom's while I went to training. Talk later?" I say, making my way up the stairs.

"Course. Have fun, love you!" A small smile grows on my face.

"Love you too Ash." And the line goes dead. I place my phone in my pocket as I enter Leah's nursery as she sits up, reaching for me.

"Hey baby, wanna go see Grandma?" I ask her with a smile. She nods excitedly, a cute smile lighting up her chubby, baby face. I laugh lightly and set her on the changing table, quickly changing her before going downstairs to gather our stuff, and we are quickly out the door.

After buckling her in I climb in and start the engine, speeding off to Mom's house. I let my mind wander for a moment.

I will have to face him today. The first time in two days. I take in a shaky breath, trying to calm myself. How am I supposed to face him after everything? How am I supposed to just forget him and shut him out completely? How do you get past someone like Luke?