1

Mackenzie had had enough. Enough of the arguing, enough of the insults, enough of the abuse, enough of him. She didn't know exactly where she was going until she pulled into the driveway of her brother's house. She hadn't talked to him or seen him in years. And she felt guilty to be only showing up now when she needed a place to stay. But she had nowhere else to go. Surely he would understand, right? His roommates on the other hand, wouldn't. They wouldn't understand who Nathan was, just like they wouldn't understand why her lip was busted or why she had a nearly-black eye. Josh would. Josh always despised Nathan and never trusted him. Mackenzie wanted Josh to give him a chance, which Josh refused. He told her to choose between him or Nathan. And she chose incorrectly. Perhaps it was him in the wrong for pushing her away after she chose to stay with Nathan, but he didn't know that she was terrified of leaving. She was terrified of him. He didn't know what was happening behind closed doors. Mackenzie finally got out of her car, walking quickly so she couldn't change her mind and leave. Josh had once told her she was always welcome and she wondered if that offer was still there. She hoped it was. She knocked on the door sheepishly. She knew at least one person was awake, since she saw a light on in the window on the walk up, and she hoped it wasn't one of Joh's roommates. She had never met any of them, simply because Nathan said that if she were to merely look in the direction of another boy she would regret it. Six years. He had been so awful to her for six entire years. And she let him. "Can I help you?" She snapped her head up at the voice, looking into unfamiliar brown eyes. "I - uh - I need to speak with Josh." She said, her voice weak. "I'll go get him." The boy said, his eyes seemingly glued to her wounds. He wanted to ask what happened, but decided against it. She looked as if she had been through enough. When Vik knocked on Josh's door, he answered it immediately, having heard the knock on the front door downstairs. He didn't know who in the hell could be here for him at two in the morning, but whoever it was had to have been in need. He didn't get random visits in the middle of the night by old friends. "There's a girl downstairs to see you." Vik said. "Is it a fan?" Josh asked quietly. "Something tells me no." Vik said truthfully. Josh nodded, thanking Vik before beginning to trek down the stairs. He was too curious to find out who this girl was to walk slowly, so he ended up basically jogging to the front door. And the sight of his little sister made him freeze on the final set of stairs. "Mackenzie?" She looked up at him and his heart dropped to his feet. "Josh." She whispered cautiously. She was worried to know what was going on inside of his head. She was scared he would make her leave, make her return to where she had come from to get the worst beating she could ever imagine for even attempting to escape. Josh was now inches in front of her, his eyes soaking in her swollen lip and bruised eye. He didn't have to ask to know what happened - to know who did this. And he didn't even want to. The only thing that mattered now was that he got his little sister back and she was far away from him. She was safe. He swallowed her in a hug abruptly, causing her to gasp slightly before wrapping her arms around his body. God, how she had missed him. The moment brought tears to her eyes. Tears that - for the first time in a long time - had a positive cause behind them. She let out a small, shaky sob and tightened her grip on her brother. She never wanted to have to let go and it seemed he didn't either. Whenever he first started the hard process of cutting her from his life, he felt so guilty to be leaving her there with him. And even more so now that he knew what was happening. How could he have been so blind? "I'm sorry." He finally said, pulling away slightly. She wiped her eyes, looking down at the floor for only a moment. "I'm so sorry for just leaving you like that. I - I was just angry that you wouldn't leave him because you deserved, you still deserve, so much better. You know that? You deserve so much better than that stupid prick." Mackenzie let out a small laugh at Josh's insult. He always had a way to cheer her up, even when an hour ago it seemed impossible to even smile. "I'm sorry, too. For staying. I should've left when I had the chance I was just scared. And I'm sorry for bothering you in the middle of the night. I had nowhere else to go." Mackenzie thought of all the bridges she had burned, all the friends she had lost because of him. "You're always welcome here, Mackenzie." He gave her yet another hug. This one was much shorter, but just as sweet. "You can sleep in the spare bedroom. I'll talk to the guys about you moving in as soon as possible." Josh said, grabbing her hand to begin to lead her upstairs. She hadn't at all thought about moving in, even if she had no intention of going back. She hadn't really thought past tonight and worrying if Josh would let her back into his life. Now she was feeling guilty for intruding. "Moving in? Josh I'm sure I can find a flat or -" "I just got you back. You're not leaving." He said firmly. He was set on letting her move in, he was set on protecting her. Much better than he did in the past. Maybe it was for the best anyways, since she didn't have a job to pay for a flat. "I will get you some clothes to sleep in. Wait here." He said quietly once they were in the spare room. She looked around the room to notice how simple it was. She liked it though, especially the fact it had an ensuite and what looked like a balcony. (Simon's room basically. Minus the set up. :)) It had one window with a window seat that was on the wall to the right of the bed. Mackenzie still adored it. She had never been picky. She pulled her phone from her pocket and placed it on the bedside table, slipping her shoes off and placing them beside the door. While Josh was rummaging through boxes to find a pair of joggers in his sister's size, Vik entered the room slowly. "So who was that girl?" He asked. "My sister. And she's staying in the spare room." Vik didn't know Josh had a sister, but he looked over that and just nodded. Everyone had their secrets they didn't feel comfortable telling, and he understood that. "For a while?" Vik asked. Josh smiled to himself as he finally found the right size, grabbing the hoodie he had laid out as well before turning back to face his friend. "Hopefully."

A/N
I'm so excited for this fanfiction, you guys. So. Freaking. Excited. I hope you all have/had a lovely day because you all deserve it!

See ya! x