A Ten Foot Grizzly Bear

Months passed, and Ellavin made no indication that she wanted to leave. She wrote to her brother often, keeping all of the letters in a small wooden box I had made for her. She stayed on my land, far away from the village, keeping company with my animals while I was away at work. It was safer for her, she still didn't know... what I was.
~<><><>~
It was early evening, and I made my way inside the house. Ellavin was in the kitchen, singing quietly in Sindarin as she cooked. By gods I'd never eaten finer food in my life. I listened to her for a little, savouring the sound of her voice. I shook my head, I had to snap myself out of this. She was an elf, she would go back to her people soon enough, back to her brother. Life was too dull for her, she had none but me to talk to. And anyway, I was half beast. It was too dangerous for her to become entangled with me.
~<><><>~
"Beorn?" Said that sweet as honey voice.
"Yes?" I replied, being a little gruff. She came out into the hallway, raising an eyebrow.
"What's that tone for?" She asked, putting her hands on her perfectly formed hips. I shrugged, trying to walk past her. She put her arm out, catching me in gut and winding me.
"Gods woman," I groaned. She looked up at me, her eyebrow still raised and her hands still on her hips.
"No food unless you cheer up," she said, sounding like an irritating child. I rolled my eyes, forcing a closed mouth smile.
"Not good enough," she pouted. I pushed past her, going out the back door into the garden.
~<><><>~
Gods that woman was infuriating, but at the same time funny and intelligent and beau... Snap out of it! I snarled to myself, feeling my fangs starting to lengthen and sharpen. I had to get these thoughts out of my mind.
~<><><>~
I wondered out of the back gate and into the woods, the smell of the pine trees filling my senses. Claws began to replace my fingernails, the line of fur on my back expanding across my body as my bones shifted and grew. I opened my eyes, running my tongue over my fangs. I hadn't shifted in so long, it felt good to be back in my animal form. The smell of the pine trees was sharper than ever, the forest floor soft beneath my paws, my eyes picking out every movement among the trees. I shook myself, the agitation from my human form now inconsequential and irrelevant. Finally I felt normal.
~<><><>~
Suddenly, I detected a movement between the trees. I swung about, snarling defensively. A pale elfin face stared back at me, silvery blue eyes full of shock and rose petal lips parted. I froze. Ellavin backed away quickly, getting paler and paler. Her forest green dress snagged on a root. She tugged at it, unable to get it free.
"B-Beorn!" Cried the terrified elf, backing into a tree. Her eyes settled on the shredded clothes on the floor, the remains on my work tunic and trousers, my boots somehow intact. Her breathing got heavier, panic in those usually perfect eyes. I laid my ears back, trying to look cute and cuddly, which is difficult when you're a ten foot grizzly bear with fangs like daggers. Ellavin's hand went to the dagger she kept concealed in the folds of her dress.
"What did you do with Beorn you monster!" She shrieked. I winced internally, partially due to her tone and partially due to the 'monster' comment. I felt like a monster around her, trying to conceal who I was to keep her safe. Ellavin drew her dagger, her knuckles white around the wooden handle. I backed away slightly, knowing there was silver inlaid in the blade which could do a lot of damage to a skin changer. Ellavin frowned for a moment.
"You're scared of me?" She asked lowering the dagger a little. I decided to nod, still praying mentally that she didn't stab me. My ears were still flat against my skull, my head lowered unthreateningly. Ellavin leant down, cutting her dress free before putting the silver dagger away, making me relax significantly. She took a step towards me. I stopped breathing. A slender elfin hand was placed on my nose and her voice became soft.
"Shh, what was all that about hey? You're not scary at all."
Her other hand ran through my fur and I had to freeze to stop myself nuzzling into it. Her sweet, spicy scent made me feel dizzy, filling my nostrils until I could think of nothing else. Ellavin spoke to me softly, running her fingers through my fur and smiling gently. After a while she hugged me before sitting down, sighing. I looked at her curiously.
"I don't know what to do," she said softly "Beorn seems to think I want to leave. I like this place, even if I'm just stuck in the house. Halfaeren told me I should stay, seeing as I speak so highly of this place. It's beautiful. But Beorn seems so on edge at the moment. He hides so much from me, as if there's something terrible that I could discover at any moment. He seems so scared and he barely talks to me. I don't understand what's going on with him." Every sentence went straight to my heart like a silver arrow, killing me every time she spoke. I laid down behind her, curling up around her in a weak attempt to comfort her. She leant back against me, curling up a little.
"H-He was so kind to begin with, I don't get what's happened. What happened to the man that comforted me when I told him about my f-fiancée? H-He slept beside me for Valar's sake, now h-he barely talks to me."
~<><><>~
I could hear her voice breaking with emotion, making me feel worse than before. I nuzzled into her side, trying to comfort the elleth as she buried her face in my fur. My human emotions began to take over, the constant ache in my chest beginning to come back. I only registered anything had happened when Ellavin screamed.