Chapter 28

“Arianna, it’s been too long.” Fredrick smirks taking a few steps towards me. I back away and look around for any weapon. 

“You’re dead. This is just a dream.” I shake my head, trying to wake up. I think about bolting upright in my bed but it doesn’t work. I’m stuck in this nightmare. “You can’t hurt me, this is just a dream.” I repeat hoping to convince myself. 

“Oh, I think I can darling.” he laughs speeding in front of me and grabbing my hair, pulling my head back. “Just like old times.” he snarls before sinking his teeth into my neck. I scream and shut my eyes, begging myself to wake up. Why can’t I wake up?! 

Once he’s done with me, he throws me down to the ground. He wipes the blood off his face and gives me a bloody grin. “I hear you’re dating Damon Salvatore? How is that? Has he cheated yet?” 

“Just get out of my dreams! It’s been months! I just want to forget!” I scream standing up done with being thrown around. I feel something underneath my jacket and pull out a wooden stake. I look at it for a second before looking back to Fredrick.  “Pay back.” I smirk before taking a few steps forward stabbing the stake into his heart. 

I watch in satisfaction as he falls to his knees and turns grey and veiny. I pull the stake out and stab it back into him again. I scream louder in fury and keep staking him, over and over again. I want him to feel the pain I felt. 

Finally I let his body fall to the ground and I look down at him, panting hard. I scream in horror when his dead body transforms to Caroline’s. “Care?!” I sob. “Oh God.” I whisper but suddenly she opens her eyes. What the…? 

She sits up, still grey and veiny, looking over at me with red eyes. “This is your fault Aria. Katherine killed me because I knew you, it’s your fault! I hate you!” she growls standing up with the stake in her hand. 

“No, Caroline!” I scream just before she stabs the stake down into my heart. I gasp in pain and look down at the stake protruding from my heart. I fall to my knees, pulling it out and throwing it to the ground. When I look back up, instead of Caroline, I see Damon.  “Damon, help me.” I beg, looking up at him. 

“Why? Because I love you?” he laughs coldly, leaning down to eye level with me. “Why would I ever love you when I have Katherine? I don’t need you Ari, I never will.” he smirks before ripping my heart out. 

Both metaphorically and literally. 

I bolt up in bed, sweating or crying, I’m not sure if it’s sweat running down my face or tears. I look around my room making sure nothing is there, it’s not like that was real though. It just felt so real…especially what Damon said. I feel like that’s so possible. He will just dump me for Katherine one day. I mean you can’t even really compare Katherine and I. Katherine is a 500 year old, badass vampire while I’m just a 16 year old, snarky teenager. How long will Damon put up with me. 

I jump like 10 feet in the air when I hear something starting to buzz on my nightstand. I calm down when I see it’s just my phone ringing. I wince as I see Damon’s caller ID come up. I look over at the clock and see it’s already 10:30am. I take a deep breath and answer the phone. 

“Finally, I’ve been calling you forever.” Damon groans. 

“Sorry, I was uh…sleeping.” I say nervously not wanting to think about that terrible nightmare. 

“What’s wrong? Don’t try to act like nothing is, I can tell by your voice. Did the nightmares come back?” Damon questions worried. Ugh, why does he know me so well?