P A S T

Trust issues. Almost everyone claims to have them these days. But barely anyone knows what it means.

Barely anyone knows what it is like to be stabbed in your back over and over, but not tell anyone since no one cares. People are selfish. And ignorant.

My childhood seems like an ignorant bliss at first, but that is if you are like most people. Too lazy to look at the dirty details. Or just not caring enough.

"Did you know? Jessica is such a snob. She is a total show off!"

"Jessica just can't shut up. Yeah, I am her best friend, but she is so annoying!"

"Seriously, Jessica is so stupid. She doesn't even know that I hate her!"

Guess what? That all was in second grade of elementary. I had a lot of friends. Or, should I say, "friends".

The rumors and whispers. My "friends" all talk behind my back. And for a long time, I was hurt. Hurt that they would say those things. Hurt that they thought about me that way.

But most of all, hurt that they think I'm stupid enough to still trust them.

So, ever since then, I decided I don't need friends. I don't need anyone. My parents never show any ounce of loving me the way they should. It almost feels like I am just an accident, a mistake.

No one has ever trusted me. So why should I trust them? The world is against me, and if I don't put my walls up and shut out my mind, then people will find my weaknesses. And they will use it. Exploit it.

You may think that I am being hard on Lucas. He's a sweet guy, so give him a chance! I don't give him a chance because people change so easily. One day, they say they love you. The next day, you're gone.

So, I am not letting anyone in. No one. Because if my trust wasn't broken then, it is when I got in highschool.

I had a friend. He was nice. Key word on was.

***
James just stood there. His hazel eyes flat with no emotions. I cried and cried, but he didn't help.

The tears are almost dried out by the time Lily delivered her last kick. I cried out in pain when her heels dug in my gut.

Lily sneered as she sees me squirm in pain. She hooks her fingers under my chin and forces me to look at her.

I never loved James. Not that way.

He is my best friend. My brother. But he betrayed me.

"Remember this moment the next time you wanna' steal my boyfriend, bitch."

And my brother lied to her just to see me fall down. Just because he couldn't see me happy.

***
Trust issues, right?

:

I went to school the next day because if I don't, my reputation is ruined. That is literally my only motivation. A happy ending.

Lucas drove me to school and rushed away. I wove through the crowd, not trying to atract any attention. I keep my head down and make my way to my locker.

I bump into a solid wall. It snapped me out of a daze I didn't even know that I was in.

I look up and see that the wall is attached to a head. A boy. And not just any boy.

Arc Black. The school's bad boy, although that position is being challenged by Lucas Johnson.

He raises an eyebrow. I fight the urge to roll my eyes and instead just hurried away. My locker is only a hallway away anyway.