Chapter 72. Mine*

Chapter 72. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

I did not quite understand Malachi's behavior. He was usually not the type to be insubordinate and question orders. His tone during our conversation let on that he was angry about something, and I would find out as soon as he and Arazel arrived. Until then, I was determined to get to know my new daughter and feed her so that she would settle down.

"Well, Arazel said she could eat anything. Blood is fine, or human food. What do you think Evan?" I said, wanting to give her the decision.

I watched as Evan pondered the options. "She's hungry now. I'm not going to just go pull out a carton of milk and give it to her. I have to think the part of her that is human still needs to develop like a normal newborn."

"Normal? There's nothing normal about her," Hawk spoke up.

I shot a frown his way, not sure what he was getting at.

"She was born nearly full-term after a week long gestation. There is nothing normal about that. We don't know what she will need. You all saw the toll it took on Evan, didn't you?" Xavier piped up.

"So do you have any suggestions? Because she needs to eat," Evan asked, not bothered by their remarks, was seemingly grasping at anything to help our daughter.

"I would say just give her what worked best to satisfy her in your womb...blood. For now at least. We can send someone to the market for whatever it is that infants eat later this morning, and try that stuff later," Hawk reasoned.

Evan looked to me and I shrugged. I had no other suggestions. She went and sat on the white lounge that had seen far better days and tried to hold our little one while she awkwardly bit her little finger then placed it in the child's mouth. Soon there were satisfied little slurps instead of the angry cries.

Small titters of relieved laughter went up around the room as we watched the interaction.

"Don't you all have something better to do? You don't have to stand around and watch me," Evan said testily. She still looked as if she needed more blood rather than to be giving it to the baby. I would have to get her to rest some, and possibly feed again soon. That thought was very appealing to me.

"You heard her everyone. Why don't we go and have a refreshment and let Evan have some time with Michael," I suggested, leading the way to the door. "Mal and Arazel will be here soon, and I want everyone to be on their toes."

I ushered them out ahead of me, and when all of them had gone out to the main area, I returned to Evan and knelt in front of her.

"I am so proud of you. You are a remarkable woman. You, Michael and Nathan are all miracles to me. There is not a luckier...man...alive...or dead for that matter, than me." Evan opened her mouth to speak, but I silenced her, putting my finger against her lips and continued, "I promise I will always do my best to protect you all and I pray you will never have to endure more of the pain you've endured since you met me."

I fought back tears as I watched the expression of love fill her face. The sunrise shone over her shoulders and lit her auburn hair to fiery red.

"I would suffer the pain I have endured a thousand times, if it meant I would be with you, Emil. My life before you was not living. I existed, but never truly lived. You gave me life."

She bent her head to me and we sat for several moments, resting our foreheads together, watching our little one finally drift off to sleep. A throat clearing in the doorway brought me to my feet. Jean held two glasses of red blood.

"Come in, friend," I said.

Jean entered and handed a glass to each of us. "Nathan told me this is how you like it."