Not Romantic?

We drove up the long winding driveway.  It's practically under a tunnel of trees.  It seems like it goes on forever.

"Now Ginny," my mother said turing around in her chair.  "This night is very important to us.  These could be our first friends here, so I want you to behave yourself and make no funny comments.  OK?"

I just looked out the window and pretended not to hear.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Welcome to our home.  Please, come in." Mrs. Walton said too enthusiastically.

"Thank you for inviting us.  I brought some sun tea." my mom handed her a pitcher.  "This is my husband, John, and my daughter, Virginia."

"Virginia!  What a darling name.  Can I take your bags?"

"Oh, yeah.  Sure." I said not correcting her on my name.  I hate being called Virginia.  Everybody hates their name.

"The family's out back.  You can go and join them." she said pointing towards the back of the house.

I felt like a loser wandering around their house before I found the back door.  I saw "the son".  He was hansome with dark hair and dark brown eyes.  He wore a button down shirt and long pants.  God, he must have been sweating underneath all that.

They both stood up, father and son.  "Hello, you must be Virginia." Mr. Walton said holding his had out for a hand shake.  I shook his hand.  Firm grip.  "This is my son, Blake.  You're both in the same grade."

Blake shook my hand.  His was softer; more gentle.  It was longer.  Almost like a kind of flirtatious way.

"Hi." I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I'm going to check on dinner." Mr. Walton said.

I was going to sit down but, "Here, allow me."  Blake said pushing the chair in for me when I sat down.

"Thanks."  I said, a little shocked.  No one did that for me at my old school.  Not even Melvin; and he had a crush on me for like, 6 years.

"Come here." he whispered in my direction inching towards me.  "I have a surprise after dinner."

"What is it?"  I whispered back.

"Well, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if I told you now would it?

_______________________________________________________________________________