31

Hayley had us staying some place outside of New Orleans. Hopes baby smile made me depressed, the coffins hid in the truck right now made me depressed, and knowing the man I love is out there being tortured is making me depressed.

Its been a couple days since everything happened. I often found myself over top of Kols casket just staring at it. I couldn't bring myself to open it or touch it.

"Hayley I can't do this right now." I mumbled to her as I sat on the front steps holding my head.

"You can take a break for a week or so If you need it." I was always either a runner or a fighter, I didn't solve problems. I caused them.

"I mean the pain." I sighed dragging my hands down my face and looking at her. She held Hope tight in her arms.

My phone rang breaking the silence. I pulled it out of my back pockets and saw it was Damon.

I looked at Hayley who nodded and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Can you make it to me with a day?" I looked at Hayley who nodded at me again.

"I suppose I could. What's up?" I frowned my eyebrows as he began to cry.

"Stefan- he saved my life. He made me human again." I could hear his breathing hitch.

"Being human isn't that bad." I rolled my eyes remembering how I was human.

He stopped breathing,"Within making me human, and saving me. He ended up dying, killing Kathrine in the hell fire." My heart broke. I could hear the throbbing come back as the words he said repeated in my brain over and over.

My baby brother was dead, and I wasn't there to save the day like always.

Hayley touched my shoulder as I mumbled my reply,"I'll be there." And hung up. I dropped my phone and staggered off the porch. So many deaths within the last month. I couldn't handle it.

"Ella-" Before Hayley could finish I was gone. Tears flowing down my face as I ran to Mystic falls. I didn't want to stop running nor did I want to look back. Damon needed me as his big sister right now and I was sure as hell I was going to be there for him.

It took a few hours and I was starving. I didn't want to eat anyone due to Stefan's beliefs not to kill.

I made it to the boarding house and busted through the door. I was out of breath as I listened for anyone.

"Ella." I heard a small voice.

I turned around to see Elena.

"Where's Damon?" I asked her and she looked down.

"I don't know if you knew but I was put down for a while until Bonnie dies. When I was waking up I saw Stefan. He said a couple things and told me to relay a message. He doesn't hate you, and hes proud of what you've become." By the time she finished I had tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Ella. It will be okay." Elena was now crying also as I heard another heartbeat.

"Sister." I turned to see Damon. He was actually human.

"Sucks don't it?" I wiped the tears and smiled.

"Not how I remember it at all." He smirked but it dropped when he was done.

"Where is he?" I asked him.

"Gone. He got incinerated." Damon looked down at his hands.

"Damon it wasn't your fault." Elena cooed hugging him.

"Caroline is terrible." He mumbled into Elena's neck.

"Why Caroline?" I asked watching the two.

"She and Stefan got married the day he died. She's now a Salvatore." Damon broke from Elena and looked at me.

"I'll talk to her." I walked upstairs into my room grabbing a journal of Stefan's. No one knew I had it because I stole it back before I was daggered. I saw a photo of me, Stefan, and Damon before we all turned on each other. It was in black and white and it quality sucked.

I held it to my chest glad that they didn't destroy my bedroom. I walked into Stefan's room and saw Caroline wrapped in the sheets crying.

"Hey uh- I thought you should have this. It was my brothers." She looked up and wiped her eyes giving a big smile.

"Ella what are you doing back?" I never disliked her, she just was always so nice and sweet when I was cold and dark. Now I'm more likely to get along with them due to everyone in New Orleans.

"No one invited me to the wedding." I tried to lighten the mood because I didn't want to have her feel what I was feeling.

"Sorry it was last minute. Stefan- he wanted to." She began to cry again as I handed her the journal.

"Us Salvatore girls stick together okay?" I hoped to make her smile.

"Alright." She mumbled.

"Remember your my sister now." I looked at her and she looked everywhere but at me.

"That means a lot. I have no family left. My mom recently died." She but her lip and sat up more and I walked in and sat on his bed.

"That's the ring? Damn I though he didn't have taste." I looked at her hand and she held up up to me.

"I'm going to have to find you a heirloom." I glanced at her.

"Kathrine gave me one the day of the wedding." She looked at the table top and I followed her gaze. It was a thin chain followed by our heirloom.

"So Kathrine was invited but I couldn't even get a phone call?" I rolled my eyes and Caroline laughed.

"She crashed the wedding."

"Listen Caroline-" I started and she cut me off.

"I know what your going to say. Don't apologize, if Stefan forgave you then so am I. After all we are sisters." I smiled knowing in that moment if have a new friend.