xvi

Six week had passed since Richard and Dawn's beachfront 'encounter'. Neither had spoken a word of it since, and went on pretending as if it had never happened. They went on living their lives with different people, people who could not compare or replace what they were to each other.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

          "Tonight, showbiz’s biggest names will gather together for the First Netizen’s Choice awards. We wish all our nom-"

          Not being able to hear any more about the upcoming awards, Richard turned off his TV in frustration, and sailed his remote across the room. 

          "Damn media hype," he mumbled, as he walked over to the mirror to fix his tie. 

          The idea of sitting next to Dawn as she arrive ar in arm with Martin was not at all appealing to him. He couldn't help but to think back to the glorious time they had shared only a few months ago, and how it was her commitment to him that kept them apart. It was moments like this that made him want to kick himself for not admitting his feelings to her back then, but she said herself, that was the past, and this is the present. The only thing he had going for him right now was the uncertainty of the future, and he could only hope life would deal him a good hand, preferably one that included Dawn.

                                                  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

          "Dawn, are you almost ready?"

          "Ten minutes," Dawn called out, as she put her finishing touches of make up on, and threw away some garbage that was lying on the bathroom sink

          "Are you positive?" 

          "What?" Dawn asked, surprised to see him poke in through the bathroom door, and call to her.

          "I asked are you positive you will be ready in 10 minutes, because the car is waiting," he said smiling as he wrapped his arms around her waist, and kissed her cheek.

          "Yes. Go on without me, I will be right there."

          "Okay, hurry, this is your big night. We don't want to be tardy now, do we?" he said winking as he walked away. 

          "Fashionably late, darling. It's called fashionably late."

          "No dear," Martin said as he turned back towards the bathroom "15, 30 minutes tops is fashionably late, you and your hour and a half is pure vanity."

          "You said it yourself, this is my big night. I'm settling for nothing less than perfection."

          "Then you don't have to try hard, because with you and I together, and a brand new award, it couldn't be anything less than perfect." 

          Dawn smiled as he walked away. Then turning back towards the mirror, she continued to apply her lipstick, and then reached to grab her perfume, when something caught her eye.

          "Primetime's Hottest Couple Shows It's More Than Just 'A Supercouple Phenomenon'," Dawn read aloud as she stared at the newest Inside Showbiz issue, as she ran her hand over the cover photo. She and Richard smiling. His arms around her waist, and his head rested on her shoulder, and she held his head close to her cheek.

          "as much as it hurts me, there are some things more perfect than you, me and an award."

          With that Dawn placed the magazine down on the sink once more, as she wiped a few stray tears from her eyes. She grabbed her purse, and then left to join Martin for a night that she, as well as the men she loved, would not soon forget.