"Come, on! You want me to stay because of the way you feel about me."

"Yes! You're a great help to us, you're a natural leader," she baited him.

He stopped in his tracks and pointed at her with evident exasperation, "No! That's not it."

She stared at him; what did he want her to say? His brown eyes held no glint of sly mischief; for once, they were perfectly serious. "Come on," he repeated, this time more softly, and stepped back to allow a boy to pass through between them, who scuttled away with his crate as quickly as he could. Every solider in the base knew to never come between the two during one of their arguments - literally or metaphorically.

Han leaned back towards her, more insistent, "Ahh, come on!"

"You're imagining things," she protested.

"Am I? Then why're you following me?" he taunted, "Afraid I was going to leave without giving you a goodbye kiss?" That leaned far too close to the truth and the hot flares in his eyes were far too frightening; their antagonism always seemed to spark attraction and she resisted the conflicting impulses to both push him away from her and pull him against her. She was a powder keg of raw instinct at the moment, but this was not the time.

"I'd sooner kiss a Wookiee," she retorted.

"I can arrange that," he stalked away just as quickly as she'd responded, "You could use a good kiss!"

And she watched him leave; regret curbing the fire, even as she thought to herself that this was probably for the best. She didn't need the heat or even the warmth. She might be the Ice Princess of the base, but that was the only way she would get things done.

Han worked at the ship, fuming. Leia had made her choice and he had made his. Now, he was leaving.

He accidentally hit his thumb with the wrench and he stepped back, cursing. He hadn't wanted to leave things between them like that, but it wasn't as though she had given them any opportunity to reconcile with matters. She refused to come to terms with her feelings and perhaps it was better for her, better for her base this way.

He sighed and Chewie stuck his furry head into the hatch inquiringly, "You alright?"

"I'm fine," he grunted.

"You don't look it. Had another fight with the Princess?"

"Don't talk to me about that one," Han muttered.

"Ah," his friend chuckled, "You're upset you didn't get a loving, heartfelt farewell."

"I wanted nothing of the sort," he retorted, working back at the control panel he was upgrading, "I wanted her to admit what she wanted from me."

"But, she's as stubborn as you are," Chewie shrugged, "What did you think would happen?"

Han didn't answer and the Wookiee paused before giving voice to his thoughts. "You would've stayed. Had she told you what she felt for you, you would've stayed."

Han fumbled for a moment, about to send his friend a cutting retort and then slumped his shoulders in defeat. "I would've stayed."

"Even though you'd risk your life?"

"Aren't I risking hers if I stay?"

"No bounty hunter would find you here," Chewie shook his head, "No, this isn't about endangering her life, you know that."

"She gave me some drivel about me being good for the men," Han avoided the hanging statement between them. "She wants me to stay, but she doesn't want me to know why."