The Address

Chapter Seven

“Great.” Ethel said as her eyes glared hardly at her cell phone. She was beyond pissed when she pulled out her phone and found that it was dead. She swore to herself that last night she had plugged it up and left it charging all night. Yet, the faint memory of waking up this morning and her phone being off the charger, popped into her mind. Ethel then began to wonder if this all was not some random accident. “Mom,” Was the only word that escaped her thin red lips. Zeus turned and looked at her with curiosity.

“Mom?” He quizzed, wondering why she said that. Ethel twisted her head and faced Zeus. She sighed and then plundered on the thought that Zeus might also be behind this too, since he does seem like he wants to get very close to her.

“I find it very coincidental that my phone is dead. I distinctively remember putting it on the charger last night, and not to mention that we are out in the middle of know where … alone. My mom knows the address of the school like she knows the back of her hand.” Ethel told him with a stern look.

It took all of Zeus’ will power not to smile, because he knew that Ethel just talked to him in recorded breaking time without being shy. “What are you hinting at?” He asked her hoping she would continue to talk. She let out a sigh and rolled her eyes, which he silently chuckled at her for doing that.

“I’m saying either I didn’t charge my phone last night, or someone unplugged it. And I am hinting that either you put in the wrong address or my mom gave you the wrong address.” She told him. It frustrated Ethel that the pea brain Zeus didn’t understand what she was saying the first time, she hated repeating herself.

Isn’t he smart enough to add two and two together? Ethel wondered.

“Well, here is the address your mom gave me.” Zeus reached in his dark jeans and pulled out a note card. Ethel reached over and grabbed it from him. Sure enough when she examined it, she noted the chicken scratch writing resembled her mother's handwriting. With an elongated exhale, Ethel threw the paper back at Zeus.

“Why on earth did she give you my Aunt’s address?” Ethel wondered. Zeus furrowed his eyebrows.

“Aunt?” He questioned.

“Yeah, my mom’s sister ... I haven’t seen her in years, but I do know that she lives in the forest on the outskirts of town. I didn’t realize until I saw the address that this is the road that leads to her house.” Zeus nodded and then thought of what they should do next.

“How far do you think she is from here?” He asked. It took Ethel a minute to figure it out, but if her calculations were correct, they were only about a mile away.

“Not too far. We could walk there, if you’d like.” She told him. He nodded before taking the keys from the ignition, unbuckling and getting out of the car. All the while Ethel began to have a battle with her seatbelt. It didn’t want to unbuckle and she was getting more and more frustrated with it as the seconds grew. Ethel caught eye of Zeus, who was already out of the car and walking around it to her side. The thought of him opening her door and helping her with her seatbelt made her frantically try and get the seatbelt to unlock. But to her dismay, it wouldn’t.

Zeus opened up her car door, and smiled at the fact that he was able to open the door for her like a gentleman should. He watched Ethel for a second wondering why she wasn’t getting out of the car. Then he noticed she was smacking and cursing wordlessly at the seat belt, while trying to unlock it. He leaned in the car and over her.

“Here I got it.” He informed her. She growled at him, but proceeded to let him undo it. Ethel caught a large whiff of his cologne, and only then did she realize he was so close to her. It made her heart thump, just looking at his exposed neck.

Within a few seconds the seat belt was unfastened and she was free.

“Thanks.” She muttered, keeping her head down to hide the blush on her cheeks.

“No problem.” Zeus said as he leaned out of the car.

Ethel got out and then they slowly made their way in the direction of her Aunt’s house. It didn’t take long for Ethel to notice the mailbox that stuck out of the road.

Neatly written on the white mailbox was:

Sarah McLeaner

If memory served Ethel right, McLeaner was her aunt’s last name.

“How long is her driveway?” Zeus asked when he saw the gravel driveway stretching long and far, almost as if it had no end.

“The driveway is pretty long. I think it take like five minutes to go down by car. So we should be there in about ten to twenty minutes.” She told him, and then they began to walk down the road. Ethel hoped they would reach her Aunt’s sooner than later, because she hated walking. Whereas, Zeus, didn’t care for walking, because he had the most beautiful girl in the world walking beside him.