Melodies // Archie Andrews

-Imagine you are a pianist who composes songs for the Pussy Cats and a crushing Archie wants your help.-

  I sit in the music room with my fingers striking the keys of the piano in the larger room. My eyes dance across the pages of the sheet music in front of me. My body slightly moving as I get deeper into the piece. The emotions of the song plastered on my face. My whole world in that moment was that piece. The sorrow and horror of the story form around me. This was my element. Me and a piano or keyboard. A story filling the room as I gently pull my fingers across the keys. I pull away and sigh as I finish the song. "That was amazing," someone says behind me causing me to jump up. I turn around to see the familiar red locks of Archie Andrews.

  "You scared me," I say holding my chest.

  "Who wrote it?" He says.

  "I did," I say to him, "I don't have any lyrics for it but I got this part done."

  "You write songs?" He asks.

  "No I compose music for songs," I say, "typical I give them to Josie for her to use. Then she makes it hers with the lyrics, well Valerie does at least."

  "Really because they haven't once given you credit for it," Archie says.

  "Name one composer of a famous pop song that got credit," I say to him. He mumbles to himself and then sighs.

  "Why do you just give them away?" He asks.

  "Because no one appreciates good instrumental pieces anymore," I say, "I don't want them to go to waste."

"Can't you write the lyrics?" The red head asks moving towards me. I sit on the bench and sigh.

  "Grundy always said I wasn't cut out for singing, that I would be beaten out by the big guys," I say, "she told me to stick to my element. And I did and still do."

  "She said that?" Archie asks.

  "She was realistic," I say.

  "But she crushed your dream," he says

  "Music is my dream Archie," I say, "singing is just a small part of music. Plus I'm not very good at it."

  "Here let me propose a deal," he says.

  "Fine," I say.

  "I love to perform and write my own songs, but they are just guitar," he says, "I would like to branch out and give my songs more depth."

  "Okay?" I ask him.

  "And you compose songs without lyrics," he says, "how about we work together?"

  "Like as partners?" I ask him.

.  "Exactly," he says, "and I will give you credit."

   "Why not," I say.

   "Great," he says.

   "Fair warning I practice here every day before school and every night at my house," I say to him, "and I spend my free time in here."

  "That's fine," he says, "how about we make our first practice at your place after I get home from football?"

  "Why the hell not Archie?" I say to him.

  "Great I'll meet you at your place," Archie says.

*****

  I sit on the piano bench and lightly move along the keys. "Hey," someone says. I turn to see Archie sitting in my doorway. 

  "Hey, Archie," I say, "come over here." He nods and sits on the chair beside me.

"Is this chair an ass?" He asks.

"It was a gag gift from Josie," I say, "our friendship is strange okay."

"I can see," he says with a chuckle. I crack my knuckles and he smiles.

"I have this idea," I say to him.

"Let's see it," He says. I start to press the keys starting a melody. "That sounds great."

"Thanks," I say.

"Here do that again I have an idea," He says.

"Okay," I say as I start to play he hums.

"Bright skin, dull eyes, batter with her own mind," He sings, "big heart, deep mind. Can't get her off my mind."

"Wow Archie that was amazing," I say.

"Yeah," He says, "I just have a great muse."

"Huh," I say, "got any more?"

"Yeah keep going," he says.

"Okay," I say. He nods along to the beat and takes a deep breath.

"This girl is oblivious," He sings warmly and moves to sit on the bench with me, "She doesn't see how much she means to me. H/c hair flowing, her smile glowing, not a flaw in her life." He stops and looks over at me. I look at him and he smiles.

"What?" I ask. He leans in and connects his lips to mine. I melt into the kiss as he moves his hands to cup my cheeks. It was passionate and soft. As he pulls away I bit my lip.

"I'm sorry," He says standing up.

"No Archie its fine," I say, "I like you."

"Good because I like you too," He says sitting back down.