28. I am not fucking amused, okay?

» Eve's point of view «

Joe Reyes...

I wanted to punch the guy till he was cross-eyed and developed a nose similar to Voldemort's. How many more times was I going to have to tell him I wasn't interested in dating him? I wasn't interested in dating anyone! I was perfectly happy being alone and to me, feelings were a thing as abstract as Chinese characters. The only people I loved were my family. And honestly, that only went as far as missing them when they weren't around.

Hugo was the complete opposite of me. He had dived into a relationship with two guys and I could see it made him (and them) really happy, but I could also see how much pressure was on them. However, it wasn't any of my business, so I didn't say anything. All Hugo could use was my support, which I happily gave to him.

I couldn't see why Joe was interested in me. I was a rude girl, incapable of showing emotions and, as Hugo liked to put it, a damn ninja. I was sneaky and secretive and quite frankly, no one should trust me, because I lived for the gossip. I wish I had dirt on Joe, but the only thing I knew about him was that he had mediocre grades, a normal, functioning family and good friends—nothing special—and apparently, a crush on me. If only the latter was not a reality.

The first thing I asked Joe when he sat down in front of me—after snapping at him and getting threatened to be exposed, of course—was, "How did you know? How did you find out? There is no way you could have known."

"You forget I pay attention to you, Eve."

Ugh, I hated the way he said my name. I hated the way he was smirking at me. I hated the way his dark irises were staring at me like I was supposed to be falling for him, for whatever unrealistic reason. I hated his bony, wringing hands. I hated the power he had over me.

"You know I'm DukeCockroach by paying attention to me? Well, damn, you should become a private eye and solve murders!"

He didn't even fucking reply to what I said. With a sparkle in his eyes, he said, "I've never seen you so... livid."

Barf.

"Joe, you need to sit down and take a fucking chill pill. You can't just blackmail a girl into dating you."

"I can do whatever the hell I want."

Sadly, with the stuff he had on me, that was true.

"You can't like me so much that you'd go this far." There had to be something wrong with his mind. Was me saying no to him for two years straight not obvious enough for him? How could he think there was still a chance I'd say yes?

He simply shrugged.

"Have you ever heard of asexuality?"

He shrugged again. "I don't believe it exists."

Someone had better give me something to rip or it would be his head that'd be ripped off. What an ignorant asshole!

"Okay, it seems we can't come to an agreement," I said, gritting my teeth to keep myself from doing something I'd regret. "Please elaborate, Joe. How did you find out?"

"You're always on your phone, laughing to yourself, and you have this... little smile on your face, when people mention a joke you made up. But at the same time, you say that you don't follow DukeCockroach and that you have no idea what everyone is talking about. I knew I was right, when you weren't at school last Monday, which was the day DukeCockroach said she'd be doing an interview."