Chapter Six : Tall, Dark and Creepy

Start from the beginning

I make my way to the kitchen and grab a cup of tea, then make my way to my paints to get some work done on my most recent commission of a dove with an olive branch for the local church. 

Painting, though it may seem mundane, also seems to be one of the only ways to pull myself out of the dark place that my memories send me to. It's also a plus that I'm fairly good and can make a decent living off of the art my brain decided to make. 

A quick glance to the corner makes me frown. The wolf painting I had finished was still sitting there, leaned up against the wall with a cover over it to protect it from any dust. Normally by now I would have sold the painting but for some reason I found it difficult to part with that one. I put a little too much of my self into it to part with it.

I sigh and turn back to the work at hand, adding the blue gray sky to the canvas to act as a backdrop to the dove. It takes roughly two hours to get the initial background layer done. I rinse my brush and set it aside to dry for later use. I make sure to cover my mixed paints to preserve them for my next step before stepping away from the canvas.

"Daddy!" I hear Michael yells and I hear the patter of his little feet heading around the corner.

I look over and see him enter but frown when I notice he is rubbing tears from his cheeks while more pour over. I kneel down quickly and scoop him into my arms while rubbing his back.

"Hey, what's wrong baby boy?" I ask as he lays his head on my shoulder.

He sniffed and hid his face in my neck while mumbling, "I dreamed you were gone Daddy! I looked but I couldn't find you anywhere. "

"I'm right here," I cooed and rubbed his back to calm him, "I'm not going anywhere baby boy."

He sniffed and leaned back in my arms to look in my face, making my heart constrict at the true fear shining in his tear filled eyes, "Promise you won't leave me?"

"Never." I swore and kissed his forehead.

"Not even the monsters can take you away right?" He asked as I carried him from my work area to the dining table so I could start some food to distract him from his nightmare.

"No one will ever take me away from my baby boy, I promise."  I swear and place a kiss on his head.

I yawn as I move around the kitchen, preparing a simple eggs bacon breakfast for the both of us. I cook the bacon first and then fry the eggs in the leftover oil until the edges are crispy. I plate the food and grab my self some fresh tea an a glass of OJ for my baby. His little eyes brighten as I set the food on the table and join him.

We eat and talk about our week, him telling me about the fun things he does with the other kids and me telling him about my paintings. I smile when he asks if we can paint together at some point this weekend, and agree. 

Once we are done I take the dishes to the sink and wash them while he heads to the living room to wait for me so that we can get ready. I join him a little later and we enjoy some morning cartoons until around 9:30. 

I help him get dressed into a hunter green button down and some khaki cargo shorts before dressing myself in a black long sleeved button down and some dark washed jeans. His brown waves are done much like my own auburn hair, combed by fingers and brushed to frame our faces.

"When are we gunna leave Daddy?" He asks as we exit the bathroom.

I glance at my watch and notice that we have roughly an hour and a half before the party. I think for a moment before answering, "How about we go now and I'll stop by the post office to drop off a few things that need shipped out, okay?"

"Kay." He agrees.

I quickly gather the items that need shipped along with my wallet and keys before locking up the house and following him out to the car. By the time everything is loaded up, he's in the back seat, already buckled in and watching his shows on his tablet.

The packages are ready to be sent and we are almost to the location listed on the invitation by the time 11:15 hits. I notice the further we get from the main area of town the less houses seemed to pop up. Trees dominated the landscape.

Up ahead I could see a beak in the trees and as we got closer I noticed there was a security gate of sorts. Large black iron posts wrapped in what looked like silver vines stood, supporting the nine foot gate. I pulled to a stop and rolled down my window to press the button on the small steel speaker box. A voice on the other end asked for identification and I noticed a camera at the top of the gate move to point at the vehicle. I rolled my eyes at the over kill but then my mind wondered for a brief moment.

Who are these people, I asked my self before answering the man on the other end, introducing both my self and Michael. A loud beep signaled the gates opening and the same gruff voice instructed me to enter. I rolled up my window and took a deep breath, reminding my self to relax.

It couldn't be that bad right? It's a kids birthday party.

Authors Note:

I'm not too happy with this part. I feel like it could be better but my brain quit on me. Here's hoping Y'all like it. Let me know!