Chapter 15: I Believe In You

WENDESDAY 2:48PM

"Eva!"

The readhead stopped on her way out of the building, waiting for Alicia to catch up with her. They both started walking out of the school together, occasionally eyeing each other.

The environment around was heavy.

"Do you have something to tell me?" Eva finally asked.

"Ah, actually, I have something I wanted to ask you."

"Shoot." Her friend gestured.

"Do you remember anything from Friday's party?" Alicia questioned.

Eva tried to think, "Not really. I drank a lot."

"Oh, ok."

"Why?" The readhead raised her eyebrow, "Is something wrong?"

"No, I just got really drunk that night too and I don't remember anything so I wondered if you did." Alicia explained, "Because Thomas said he left me with you."

"I wish I could help but I can't." Eva smiled, feeling sorry, "But I can ask Jonas..."

"Would you do that please?"

"Sure." The readhead shrugged.

The rest of the walk was full of loud laughs until they parted ways. Then it was full with sighs and thoughts, that damn thoughts.

Alicia wanted to have a solid answer for all the problems but she didn't. She was a walking mess, not a beautiful kind of mess, just very messy. She felt lost too. Everything she had believed in seemed like some bullshit in that moment, the true love. Did it even exist at all?

Or perhaps the problem was Alicia. Maybe she preferred an empty bed and an unbroken heart. Perhaps she wasn't ready to love, or for love at all. Maybe she'd never be.

But then she remembered Chris Schistad. The boy who could make her go nuts in one second and totally vulnerable in the next. It actually scared her, how much affect he had in her. Alicia convinced herself of what love was supposed to look like. So she got close with a boy who didn't matter, trying to forget the only one who did.

"Alicia?"

The brunette looked up from her feet, meeting Chris in front of her. She felt a knot in her throat immediately, she tried to swallow it but it was in vain. While he was standing right there, it wouldn't disappear, reminding Alicia of how many words were left unsaid.

"Hi." She tried to avoid his eyes.

Schistad approached her, "How are you?"

"Fine."

Both stood there, looking into each other like they could read minds. But they couldn't. Maybe if they could, things would be easier. Or not. Because, unfortunatelly, neither of them was willing to face the truth. Whatever it was.

"I'm sorry." Alicia gave in.

"You are sorry?" Chris chuckled.

"I said sorry because you make me feel like I had to."

"What? I didn't make you do anything." He gestured.

"Well, I didn't say I was sorry because I was." The brunette told him.

"Then why did you?" Schistad frowned his eyebrows, confused.

"I don't know." Alicia sighed, "I'm apologizing for something you should have apologized for."