Chapter 20

Surprisingly, I was able to keep my ears on my head. We sat in the living room, me still in my wolf form. For the past hour they had been non-stop yelling at me, naming different things that couldn't happened to me. I just huffed and rolled my eyes, already knowing some of these things weren't possible.

They spoke about how I could've lost limbs and a few others like that. They named the obvious, which was I could've died. Then they named the impossible. They talked about being torn in half, getting ripped into a million pieces and a few other really gruesome things. I was listening, but I didn't really want to listen to their almost frantic ranting.

I let out a huff of annoyance, a sharp bark following. They immediately shut up, both of them looking at me with disbelief in their eyes. It was almost like they could't believe I would stop them from worrying over me. I growled, letting them know how much I appreciated this one sided chat. I turned, not giving them anytime to stop me. They really couldn't stop me anyway.

My main focus now, even though I hadn't been able to find him before, was to finish Charles off. Hurting him to keep him away for a while would work too, but I would rather kill him than let him live. He would just become a nuisance otherwise.

"Zane! Where do you think you're going?!"

Aria called out, and I knew instantly that she was following me. I let out a yelp of surprise, feeling her hand wrap around my tail before pulling me back. I turned, glaring at her. My body was almost completely healed, dried blood matting my fur. I let out a huff, only wanting to stay around long enough to hear what she had to say.

"You almost died, and yet you're going back out there like it's no big deal? Don't you realize you have people who care for you? And as much as I hate saying this, a mate that cares for you? Do you not realize that Kayla really loves you? That she would do anything for you?"

This was where I drew the line. All my life, I've known nothing but torture. The only love I received was from Aria. She's the only one that I knew loved me with her entire being. But saying that Kayla or some other people loved me? That was were I stopped her. I let out an angered growl, not hesitating to shift back to human form.

"How dare you say she loves me! How dare you say any of them love me. She rejected me as soon as we found out we were mates. She didn't even get the chance to know me, she just threw me away like I was nothing more than the dirt on her shoe. The others did the same. So please, tell me how they can possibly love me."

Aria looked at me with sad eyes, her wolf shining through a bit. She looked at the ground, obviously believing she knew something that I didn't. I didn't need to now more than her to know that the only person that ever wanted me around was her. I looked away, feeling tears fill my eyes for the first time since I left.

"You never gave her the chance to explain, never gave anyone the chance to explain why they did what they did. You just assumed everyone was out to get you, which I have to admit... people did want to kill you and me for just our rank. But don't group everyone together like that"

She was definitely pleading with me, trying to see her side of things. That would be difficult to convince me to do, seeing as I saw nothing but evil in this pack. I shook my head, huffing with annoyance.

"If you are going to believe their lies, that's fine. But don't try to drag me down with you. If you're on their side, why should I believe you anymore. I once called you friend, but I don't know how much longer I can stand by and watch you get corrupted. Goodbye, Aria."

I shifted back to wolf form, running away from her. I felt horrible for saying that, but I couldn't have a friend trying to bring me back to a place that hurt me. It was better if I just stayed away, but no one could see that. I shook my head, ridding my mind of those thoughts.

It was better to focus on the hunt, instead of focusing on something that would only make me lose my mind, or make me want to hunt down my old pack instead of Charles. I lifted my snout to the air, catching a slight scent in the wind. He had been near the edge of the pack border, crossing it. This had happened a while ago, maybe a day or so before I started tracking him.

I was very tempted to cross the boundary one last time, leave everything behind. Now I had nothing to hold me back, especially with what just happened. I could go as far away as I wanted, and not even my wolf could stop me. He was whimpering slightly, trying to get me to turn back and apologize. I couldn't listen to him, so I just blocked him out. Without hesitation, I crossed the border.

Instantly, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. A wolfish smile spread across my muzzle, and I sprinted toward a different state. I was so excited to get away, my muscles pushing me to a speed I didn't know I could reach. Within half an hour, I was in the neighboring state, my mind filled with excitement. There were new possibilities, all of which I would explore. But what I didn't know was the consequences of blocking my wolf out completely. And blocking him out made this journey a lot more interesting.