CH5: When writer's block comes from issues in your personal life

The leading causes of writer's block can be depression and stress. Life events outside of your story could be clouding your creativity.

>>>As a disclaimer if you feel you are medically depressed or stressed seek help from a medically trained doctor asap and remember you are not alone. The cards are not as good as a real-life treatment plan. Seek help today, it's a google search away.<<<

The cards can be quite therapeutic which is why it's an age-old tradition people use when they have a lot of questions about where their life is going (which usually happens when you are stressed).

Everything I know from doing a personal reading for myself comes from the LearnTarot website. I'm also reading The Way of the Tarot which goes into the process in much more depth, but if you're starting out keep it simple. Even the basics mentioned here can give you great results. The Cross spread is excellent and I will do a brief run through of what it is (check out learntarot and others for the juicy details). I'll also add an additional follow-up question spread which is sometimes needed if you still feel unclear or upset by your reading. 

Don't ask too detailed questions or questions which will have yes or no answers, also don't as Should questions . e.g. avoid Do people like me? Like where are my keys? should I ask them out? etc

Do: ask questions about the path or journey you are on in life. Keep the questions open. LearnTarot has a whole section on questions you can ask.  For example:

Where is my artistic journey taking me?

What insight can you give me about my love life?

How might I improve my social skills?

How would a switch in jobs impact my career?

How can I improve the relationship between Robin and me?

Remember: When you have writer's block or are blocked up by something in your life. It is like standing at a crossroads. You might think you have no choices or feel overwhelmed by them. It can help to stop and breathe. Take your time on choosing a path. Don't forget paths always meet and choices can be changed. When at a crossroads it can help to talk to someone you trust and you know can help you consider your decisions. When writing a question, word it in a way where you acknowledge there are paths, and the responsibility on which one is right for you is always up to you. The advice should always help you see and think about the choices. 

TASK meditate and get calm. 

There are many guides like Headspace or tutorials on youtube to help you learn how to meditate.  Basically, get comfy, clear your mind (maybe use a mantra, poem, song lyric) imagine a white light is growing from the tips of your toes to your forehead. Maybe think about a crystal ball, flood your bad thoughts into it and let them evaporate clear again. Practice breathing exercises. Ask the question you want guidance on as you shuffle your deck. When the time feels right, lay out 10 cards in the layout below.

Below is the Celtic cross layout:

Black Cross/Cards 1 & 2.
These cards are the present issue you are seeking or in. The two cards could be in conflict or could be supporting each other. 

Card1: is the heart of the issue

Card 2: is the conflict, or the support for card 1.

Blue Line: Cards 3 and 5.
This is what's going on inside of you at different levels. 

Card 3:  The source of the internal issue, "that which is beneath you" - traditional, fundamental pattern, hidden influence.

Card 5: What you accept as true, what you're focusing on, what you intend to achieve,"what could come into being" - traditional

Purple Line: Cards 4 and 6.

How people, events are flowing through your life.

Card 4: Your past, Receding influence, something you let go of, lost importance, something you developed

Card 6: Possible future, what gaining importance and focus, what needs to be sorted,

Green Line. Cards 7 to 10.
Known as the staff section, it's an external guidance/outsider's view on what the other cards can mean to you.

7&8: To find out how more about the relationship between you and your environment. 

Card 7 is a personal card like how you may approach the problem, a talent you have, or maybe what you think you are. 
Card 8 is more "that which surrounds you", how others might see you, what others demand.

Card 9
Tells you something you need to know. Like what changes to make, what you might do, the truth/missing piece, a lesson to learn, the traditional meaning is your hopes and fears. 

Card 10 is a possible outcome. Overall thoughts on the matter, how you might end up feeling, if it will succeed or fail, or how someone else will be affected.

Go through each card and write down what you think each card means. Like a mini reading essay. This is why card reading is best done by yourself since you will know deep down what they mean. Overall it'll help you process your feelings more maybe unlock what you've denied to yourself for too long if you read your cards with an open heart.

Follow up spread.

We will use a spread from chapter 4 which was focused on your stories strength and weaknesses. The Celtic cross can be daunting as big to process/read. This can simplify the answer you got before. The concept is you want to be on the right path in life this might help you keep it or find it. (Disclaimer: if you get the death card don't fear it means to end the old and change into the new you. Not death for you!)

Meditate again and shuffle the deck and ask yourself these questions. Then place them in the spread below.

What are my strengths?
What are my weaknesses?
What should I avoid doing? What is keeping me on the wrong path?
What should I do to stay on the right path?

What are my strengths?What are my weaknesses?What should I avoid doing? What is keeping me on the wrong path?What should I do to stay on the right path?

Overall I hope all these chapters have helped your story and yourself find peace and completion.