chapter 17

"Duh it's fuckin' me!" Anxiety shouted.

"We're sorry for not believing you, but you look different, son," Patton drowsily patted his shoulder.

"Different? How do I look different?" He picked up Thomas's phone and went to the camera. His face turned from confusion to horror. "WHAT?"

"It's a good different," I said, wringing my hands. Thomas twitched from his drunken slumber on the ground.

"WHAT the FUCK is thIS black SHIT in my HAIR?? And where is my eyeliner? Aah, WHY THE HELL DO I LOOK LIKE THIS?!?!?!?!" He threw the phone on the carpet inside from the open door.

"I'm so glad you're back," Patton hugged him. Anxiety deep sighed. "I just want answers," Anxiety whined, squeezing Patton tight.

"What can you remember last?" Logan asked, gesturing for everyone to go inside. He hauled Thomas onto his back and followed everyone else in.

"I-I don't remember dying," Anxiety began, his voice softening. I hadn't said much of anything since he got back but all I wanted to do was hold him and never let him go. Unfortunately, I was back to being the background guy who occasionally threw in a conversation piece.

"Okay, but what happened before now?" Logan asked. I could see the gears in his drunken brain turning. "Is there an afterlife of some sort? There must be an explanation for your appearance change."

"I don't have any idea," Anxiety said. His eyes were completely full of wonder and confusion that I had to feel sorry for him. He obviously remembered us but a lot of his memories must have been wiped.

Logan was perturbed and didn't hide it. He hated not knowing stuff. "Listen," I grabbed Anx by the shoulders, "I'm just glad to have you back."

Anxiety slapped my arms away. "Get your hands off of me, weirdo!"

He shoved me back and I stumbled. "W-what, are you still not talking to me?" I sputtered.

Anxiety looked at me with a quizzical expression. "Uh, yeah? I am talking to you? What are— okay, you know what? I'm tired and confused, so I'm going to bed. Later."

We all watched him sink down. From the looks on their faces, I could tell they were ready for this strange day to end as well.

"Goodnight, everyone," I regally posed and sunk down into our world.

-

What I saw next completely astounded me.

Where our normal rooms were had changed into one huge door similar to the Memories door. There was a huge circle in the middle of it split into five smaller segments each with their own door knob. Anxiety stood before it, tapping his foot in frustration.

"Where's my goddamn door?" He asked it. I stepped in place behind him. He turned to me. "I can't get this thing to open."

"Maybe if you ask it nicely, it will," I joked.

"Har-har," he rolled his eyes. "Okay, pleaseeee open, door?"

Oh... my god. He sounded so cute when he said that. I'm going to actually implode.

Anxiety jiggled the handles again, one at a time, slowly. "No, no, no..." He yanked on two handles at the same time and the door opened, causing him to jump and trip into the room. The door slammed behind him.

"Anxiety?" I turned the handles again but they wouldn't budge. "Anxiety!"

"Please let me in, oh mystical door!" I pleaded. I tried all the handles, feeling one give way. I fell into a room, too, only it was a different one than the one Anxiety fell into.

This room was strangely lit with a neon red glow cast around a nearly empty room. Its floors were hardwood and the walls were bare. There were no windows and only a closet to the side and another door opposite it.

I hurried to the door and knocked. "Anxiety! Anxiety? Can you hear me?"

From the next room, I heard a low rumble, as if someone were trying to speak. Then, a sonorous scream rang out, piercing my ears with its guttural sound.

"Pleasedontbesatanpleasedontbesatan," I said while opening the door.

Anxiety was on the floor to his room, back hunched like a rabid cat. This room was glowing in purple instead of red. It would be pleasant to enjoy if Anx wasn't bent over growling maniacally.

"H-hey there, sport," I reached down and touched his back.

He turned around and hissed at me, his eyes glassy and soulless. 

"FUCK THIS SHIT I'M OUT!" I yelled, crossing myself with a prayer before beelining it to the door.

Before I could leave, Anxiesatan was blocking my way. Somehow he transformed into a demon within five seconds of being in this room.

"Anxiety, why are you being so icky?" I cried, waving my handkerchief at him.

"I am NOT Anxiety!" Anxiety yelled. 

"W-what?" I cowered to the floor.

"Anxiety thought he could have it all back in a snap," the creature cackled, his voice altering. It sounded like Anxiety, but at the same time, it didn't, like there was a second voice on top of his. "He was a fool. So were you for following him in here!"

"Please, please, please be joking," I begged. 

"Of course, I'm just shitting you," he said, everything that was creepy suddenly turned normal. 

I almost shit my pants. "ANXIETYYYY WHY DID YOU DO THAT?? THAT WASN'T FUNNY!!"

Anxiety burst out into giggles. "You should have seen your face! Oh my God!"

I pinned him to the floor  and fake pounded on his chest. His contagious laughter made me laugh as well. I laid my head on him and sighed. "I missed you."

He said nothing. He just petted my hair and sighed too.

'Anxiety's' POV

"We dodged a bullet back there," I said to the mirror.

Why are you doing this to me?  he asked.

"Because, Anxiety. I'm improving your world."

Please don't do this to him. Don't do this to them. They're my family. What more do you want?

"Well, I've already remodeled the place, might as well take the rest of Thomas' mind, too. That Prince would make a great addition to the team, don't you think, Anxiety?" I looked at the mirror and grinned.

I won't be trapped in here for long. Just wait and see. They'll find out.

"Oh no, little Anxiety, the little train that could," I laughed. "They'll never find out. I am a part of you now so I know every little thing to say. And once we are all..." I air-quoted, "united, Thomas will have everything he has ever wanted."

Note: I wrote the majority of this chapter before the Accepting Anxiety videos so any resemblance to them is merely coincidence. It took a month to finish bc of writer's block I guess, but mainly my life has been v busy

-olivia