Chapter 12

It was one hot afternoon in July and I was walking home from work. The restaurant I'm working at is only a few blocks from the flat, which was great. That way Dakota could take the car if she needed it. She had been free from work today and I was assuming she'd been dancing around in the apartment or having a friend over. After all, she has another week left as a teenager.

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home, picking up the things Dakota had asked me to buy for tonight. Apparently she had some big news and wanted to celebrate. Another waiter at the restaurant, Gabe, kept teasing me about it, saying she's pregnant and stuff. Deep down I knew it was impossible because we always use protection. But a part of me kind of freaked out by Gabe's words. I told myself to stay calm until I get home and hear it from her. Either she's really exciting and yelling she's pregnant or she's really exciting about something else. I was hoping it was something else. We're way too young to become parents.

I opened the door, hearing music streaming in the entire flat.

Please don't be a surprise party

"Dakota?" I called out, kicking off my shoes in the hall and headed towards the kitchen.

I put down the grocery bag on the counter and started to unpack it.

"Hello, stranger."

I turned around as I heard her voice. She stood in the doorway, wearing a pair of grey sweat shorts and a loose tank top. Her hair had been sun-bleached into a lighter brown colour and as always she had it up in a messy bun with some hair sticking out. Her freckles were more visible than ever and her skin was perfectly tanned.

She walked over to me with a smile, wrapping her arms around my stomach. I locked my arms around her neck, giving her a gentle kiss.

"How was your day?" She asked, letting me go for a second so I could turn around.

I felt her arms wrap around my torso from behind as I started putting in some grocery in the fridge.

"Hectic." I simply replied. "What about you? Have you been dancing around in your underwear?"

"You know me too well." She laughed, pressing her lips upon my shoulder.

Once I was done with the grocery bag, I turned around again. I placed my hands on her waist, backing her up towards the small kitchen island behind her. Without any heads up, I smoothly picked her up and set her down on the island. She giggled and sloppily wrapped her arms around my neck as my hands remained on her waist. I was standing between her legs, pressing my own hips against the edge of the counter.

"So what's the big-" I kissed her cheek. "Exciting-" My lips wandered down her neck. "News?"

"I quit my job."

I froze in my actions, slowly leaning up from her collarbone. She was biting her bottom lip, not because I was kissing her skin, but because she was insecure on how I would react.

"What?" I questioned, slightly frowning.

"Don't worry, I have a plan." She said, not doubting herself for a second. "You know my friend Caroline, from school?"

I nodded.

"Well, she and I are starting up our campaign!"

"Again... what?"

She chuckled a little, scooting aside to jump down from the counter. I stayed right where I was standing, only turning around to face her.

"It's against cyber bullying. I've realised that working at the kindergarten with Lucas won't get me anywhere. So I talked to him, told him about my goals in life."