Poppy Seed Rolls
For the dough:
Flour, 3 cups
Butter (melted), 2/3 cup
Sugar, ½ cup
Milk, 1 cup
Instant yeast, 2 envelopes
Salt, 1/2 tsp
Egg yolks, 4
Canned poppy seed filling, 3 cups
1. Dissolve the sugar and yeast in ½ cup of lukewarm water and leave for 15 minutes.
2. Combine flour, yeast, butter, salt, and egg yolks to make a dough.
3. Knead dough until it is elastic and smooth.
4. Cover and let stand in a warm place until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
5. Heat the poppy seeds either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
6. Spread flour on a large surface and divide the dough in half. Roll each piece out very thin (about 1/8” in thickness) and spread the (warm) filling over it. You can spread the filling in whatever thickness you want, but try and spread it close to the edges.
7. Place a piece of wax paper onto a baking pan and place the rolls on it, about 3-4” apart as they will expand.
8. Cover the pan with a light cloth and place in the refrigerator overnight.
9. Brush the rolls with melted butter.
10. Bake in a previously pre-heated oven at 300 °F for about 40 minutes or until golden.
11. Cool in the pan before slicing and serving.
This is a great breakfast treat or dessert. Just make sure you have some liquid like water, milk, or coffee to swish around in your mouth afterwards because those seeds do get in your teeth.
Hope you enjoy it! More recipies to come soon! :)
YOU ARE READING
"Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell. There is excellence all around you. You only need to be aware to stop and savor it....anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great." - Gusteau "Ratatouille"