“Sorry!” I exclaimed.  I could have told him what the problem was-- that this was an emergency, but I didn’t. For some reason I didn’t.

Mr.Randolf went back to his explanation of whatever he was going on about. “Now where was I...”  I heard him mumble.

Once he was focused back on whatever, I hurriedly took off my chequered button up. “Get up.” I told Delia. She obeyed. I wrapped my shirt over her waist to cover up the offending stain.

“This is so embarrassing.” She said, making an embarrassed face, flexing her neck muscles and clenching her teeth.

“It happens.” I shrugged. “You should get to the nurse.” I said trying to find a remedy to the mortifying event, more mortified of it than she seemed to be, as if I was the one who bled through.

“Yeah. I can do that after the class is over.” Delia said.

After a minute or so, I noticed she remained standing. I poked her shoulder and pointed at the chair, suggesting her to sit down. “Your shirt...” She crumpled her forehead.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s red anyways and I’ve had it since forever.”

Delia shook her head in protest. “Can we please get out of here.”

Maybe I was just projecting, but I could swear I saw tears well up her eyes. I know I would feel like crying if I was her. I mean first day in a new school and this kinda shit happens. Without even realizing, I nodded my head in agreement. I grabbed my bag, took her elbow and escorted her out.

It wasnt until when we were outside the room that I realized we hadn’t asked permission from Mr.Randolf. “Oh crap let me just go back in and tell—“

“Please just get me out of here.” Delia pleaded, unabe to look me straight in the eye.

Without question, I agreed. The important thing is to avert making this more embarassing than it already was. “I’m parked nearby. You know the directions home?”

Delia nodded.

“Let’s go.” I said leading her to where I had parked.

When we got to the car, she gave me directions. I guess she lived in an apartment or something in the central part of the town because that’s where she was leading me to. We were both silent on the ride, the radio automatically having turned on when I started the engine filling the silence.

Then suddenly she made me stop the car. “Can you please come with me?” She finally found the courage to look me in the eye.

“Of course.” I replied automatically. 

We got out in front of Shamrock Pub. She went to the door of the pub.

“Wait. You live at Shamrock’s?

She didn’t answer and just went inside. I followed. She sat on a stool at the bar.  I followed and sat next to her.

“Are we even allowed to be in here?”

“Free country, isn’t it?” She shrugged. “By the way, I never got your name.”

“Oh right!” I furrowed my brow, amazed that having gone all this way we were never even introduced. Where are my manners. “I’m Jane.”

She crumpled her face. “No.”

“Pardon me?” Was she arguing with me about my name? I would know what my name was.

“Jane makes me think of ‘Plain Jane’.”

“Oh. You have a point. But I kinda am.” I shrugged, trying to make fun of myself.