Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Run, Negro, run!"

                Wisdom started with a jolt after he heard those words. His partner in crime, Damien Michael Xavier, better known to the world as DOG, was running right beside him. Their usually game of "Catch Me If You Can" with the local police authorities began with usual initial strike. Xavier would walk up to a police squad car with five of his buddies all wearing hoods and threw bottles at the windshield of the car. Then when the police figures got out, Xavier would hit him with a pebble in his face. That got the chase going and that's what Wisdom and Xavier were doing now. They were running.

                They dodged up Knickerbocker Avenue with the quickness. They knew the area by heart. They knew which stores to hide in and which ones they could use for cover if they wanted to taunt the pursing officers on their tail.

                Today the chase didn't last long. The law enforcers ran about half a block and then stopped. Wisdom and Xavier were already two blocks down when they looked back and saw the officers walk back to their original position.

                "Damn, quitters!" Xavier exclaimed. "Hey, you wanna go get some pizza?"

                "Yeah, let's go to Two Guys," Wisdom replied.

                "Aight, but you buying the slice," Xavier said.

                "You suggested it," Wisdom said. "You should pay."

                "I don't listen to idiots," Xavier said and they headed down the side street.

                As they walked, Wisdom couldn't help sizing Xavier up. Xavier had been friends with him ever since Wisdom's mother had moved to Cornelia Avenue in Brooklyn. Wisdom had stayed in Harlem with his father but he visited her every weekend. And that's when he met Xavier.

                Wisdom's mother, Denise Sinsare, was a nurse at Woodhull Hospital on Flushing Avenue. Wisdom used to stop by the hospital to pick her up or waited for her so they could have lunch or dinner depending on her schedule. He was standing in the waiting room one night waiting for his mother to get off work when Xavier came in the hospital with a group of buddies looking depressed. Xavier and his three counterparts just flopped down on the chairs in the waiting room. There was a nice looking female waiting for her sister in the room who had her eye on Wisdom. Xavier gave her a tempting glare but the girl seemed to pay him no mind. Xavier looked at Wisdom and automatically just saw a "Pretty Boy Floyd". He was already mad at the fact his boy, Jermaine, was in the operating room receiving thirty-five stitches because of a fight that broke out at a restaurant. Now this Pretty Boy Floyd was messing with his action. It was unacceptable. Xavier got up and yelled, "Yo, why you staring at me?"

                Xavier's boys immediately turned around to see this new threat. They had already beat four guys to a bloody pulp that day and they were still bloodthirsty.

                Wisdom looked around.

                "I am talking to you!" Xavier pointed at Wisdom. "You got a problem?" 

                "Nah, man," Wisdom said. "I was just chilling. I'm not trying to start nothing."

                "You just did," Xavier said. "You know who I am?"