Chapter 3 - The Disputation of Kinship

Chapter 3

The Disputation of Kinship

A JAB STRAIGHT ON his mouth was my response.

            Don’t mess with a girl that already thinks she’s crazy!

            This was all the proof I needed to know that my father was a freak show and then some. I probably got it all wrong. He didn’t abandon my mother, she obviously abandoned him because he was a nutcase and she had given me up because she didn’t want to have a GiselleFromEnchanted 2.0.

            Yup, that’s good enough explanation for me.

            I broke into a sprint leaving the weird potato behind me. I was good at running away—usually from cops though but the outcome was fairly the same.

            I ran out without looking back, my duffel bag hitting on my spine rhythmically with every step I took. I could hide somewhere—under a bridge, behind a dumpster, in the freaking forest, god knew there was a lot of it here… Forest was a last resort though—way too many possible freaky moving trees for my liking.

            I could hear Matvei screaming my name, asking me to stop, but all I did was pushing my legs harder, my breathing hitching up.

            I shouldn’t have eaten so much. The milkshake was coming back up and I had pain in the ribs area. Luckily, I was good at ignoring things like that—heck I could keep on running while puking if that’s what I needed to get the fuck away from here!

            “Oksana… please, wait,” his voice rang behind me, close, way too close! Dammit, obviously I hadn’t hit him hard enough in the face!

            I allowed one glance behind me and my eyes automatically widened, my heart skipping a beat and my feet pushing me faster—he was WAY too close!

            Of course, in my panic and hysteric running, the tip of my shoe caught in a bump on the sidewalk and I fell down, face first on the concrete.

            Because I have issues, my first reaction was to keep on crawling away—they really should have made me go to more of those state appointed therapist sessions. A shadow casted upon me and I really felt like I was in slasher movie. I turned around to face my opponent, ready to scream dramatically with on arm raised, and maybe the other hand pressed against my cheek, shaking my head to show just how terrible the situation really is.

            “Oksana, are you alright,” Matvei asked, crouching to get on the same eye level as I.

            I slightly backed away from him—personal space was a very important issue for me—and glared at my torn jeans and bleeding knee. Great. “Yes, I’m fine,” I grumbled, gazing around ,hoping for gauze or band-aids to magically appear. Maybe new jeans too, or a billion dollars in singles so I could put them all in an Olympic size pool and swim in it.

            Matvei didn’t move from his spot. “Look, I understand I might have freaked you out there—”

            I snorted, cutting his speech. “Freak me out? Dude, you have serious mental issues and coming from me, trust me, it’s not a compliment.”

            He sighed, almost in defeat. “Please will you just… will you just hear me out? Please?”

            I looked at him in utter disbelief. “So you can tell me I’m an alien or a vampire or the devil’s spawn? No thank you!”