Chapter XXVIII: Harbinger

On the edge of my hearing, rising above the murmur of soft voices, there was laughter, tense and wracked with nerves. Sky rested quietly in the back of my mind – a familiar presence and a comfort. The warmth of the sand, below my paws, felt kind in the face of what was to come.

Beside us stood Aaron, quiet and sure, steady and calm, and almost detached. In front of him sat Daisuke and a few others, discussing something in a low tone, every so often breaking out into small and weak smiles, corners of their eyes crinkling in mirth. Aaron lowered his muzzle, moving for the first time in what seemed like eons, and nudged his rider. Daisuke twisted and rubbed the silver dragon's nose before standing up with a quick word to the riders he had been speaking to. Daisuke rested his forehead on Aaron's jaw and I turned away, feeling that the intimacy was something that I shouldn't intrude upon.

I turned and looked at Apollo who would look like he was asleep on the sand, if not for the one eye that occasionally opened and shut. Daphne stood in front of him with her arms crossed, a glare on her face. Apollo lifted his head and snorted, standing up with a shake of his large body.

I tried to fix the images of my friends in my head, knowing while we might defeat Mark and Thirak, we would be going up against another army – and that people might fall in battle. I tried to memorise Thaos' purple scales and Ryan standing out upon her, Sky and my first friends despite everything. I tried to imprint the image of Aaron and Daisuke together into my mind. Apollo with his orange-red scales and knowing eyes, Daphne with her wide grin and energetic air. I remembered whom we were doing this for – for Drake, for Alu, for Jasper, for Chloe, for Vajri, for Varsha and others like her, for all those under Mark's control who never wanted this, for freedom and all that it meant.

There was a reason why we would be going into battle and it helped to remember it.

Sky tensed, worry briefly flickering in her mind and I turned my eyes away from our friends to watch the approaching riders and dragons. They were all banished riders, with both pairs being known to Sky and me from the Combattre competition.

"We're ready, Sky," Quentin said with a glance over his shoulder at the other rider who had an annoyed expression on his face. "Give us the order and we can move out. I'll keep watch on Eliza here for you."

I nodded a greeting to the pair of dragons – Joey and Victoria. Quentin and Victoria had been an ally of Sky and me, while Eliza and Joey had attempted to sabotage us; they hadn't been successful. "Thank you, Quentin," Sky responded. "We'll move out in a few minutes. I'll signal everyone to get ready."

I stretched my wings before roaring, telling everyone to get ready. I felt Sky's amusement as Quentin and Eliza turned away with their dragons, moving towards the group of banished riders. You know, there was an actual signal, Sky told me softly.

I did, I responded as I stretched, but that was much more convenient.

Perhaps, Sky replied before falling silent as everyone around us prepared for the upcoming battle. Sky's love washed over me and my resolve strengthened. Shall we go, gein-do-dii-sil-ahrk-hah?

Let us go dance in the flames of battle, dii-do-su'um-ahrk-slen, I responded.

And remember, Sky started with a smile.

Mahfaeraak mu fent kos dovah ahrk zoriik, I finished.

Next to us, Aaron took a heavy step forward before breaking into a light run and leaping into the air. I followed the silver dragon, taking to the air on blue wings. I caught up to Aaron and flew alongside him. The sun glared down on us and reflected brightly off the armour of the opposite army. They had started to take off.