Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

My mom sadly found out about her condition in the last stages of the cancer, so it had spread to other places in her body. That only led to the cost of her surgeries becoming steep and sadly her insurance didn't cover nearly enough to get her back to health.

"Are you nervous?" Mr. Gilinsky questioned breaking my extended and worried
overthinking yet again.

"A little, what made you think I was?" I inquired curiously.

"Well, you're leg has been bouncing non stop for the past five minutes and you looked to have been in deep thought." I nodded in response knowing he was right.

Maybe he should stop examining me and keep his eyes on the road.

"So, do you care to share? Why your nervous?" He speaks out again breaking the silence that had formed briefly.

I bit my lower lip, before answering, "I'm just really nervous to see my mom."

My answer was really simple and vague. I could tell by the tightening in his jaw that he was becoming impatient and wanted to know more, but for some reason I didn't really feel like explaining. All the situation did was make me want to cry and in all honesty, I was tired of crying.

"Why? What's wrong? Like why exactly are we going to see your mom?"

I let out a deep breath before finally answering, "My mom has stage three breast cancer, it's been that way for a while. I'm just scared that on one of these days when I go to visit my mom her condition worsens to the final stage and there is no saving her."

"I'm so sorry to hear about your mom." He says sincerely reaching over to touch my hand that was in my lap before pulling it away just as fast. Then he continued, "But, you have to keep faith and hope for the sake of your mom, okay? Your mom will pull through and be okay."

I simply nodded, knowing I had heard that a thousand times before from the countless nurses and doctors as well as Aunt Maxine. The message had never eased my mind, but for right now it had calmed my nerves a little. His voice was almost therapeutic and hearing him say those things made me almost believe what he was telling me was true. That my mom would be okay.

Shortly, we had reached the hospital my mom was in and I was expecting him to let me out at the the entree way, but instead he parked.

"Why did you park?" I asked. It may have sounded a little rude, but I was curious.

"Because I'm going in with you, come on." He stated with no hesitation pushing open his door.

"Wait. Wait. Sir, no disrespect, but I never said I wanted you to go in with me." I said honestly.

"You didn't have to. You shouldn't have to do this alone. I've been in this position before, Johnson, trust me. It's better for you to have someone to lean on. Just in case things have worsened, I'll be there for you." He said sincerely, staring at me with his light brown eyes locked with mine.

"Okay." I agreed softly and we both proceeded to go outside the car.

Not too much longer we were making our way towards my mom's room. He opened the door for me to go through first and I thanked him quietly before being met with my mom's thin, sick-like face that seemed to gleam at my presence.