Chapter 27 ➾ Nice To Meet You Again

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." – Martin Luther King, Jr

Chapter 27

Nice To Meet You Again

5 Months ago

Melek's POV

It is the last day of summer, and I am walking under a blue prairie sky through the grounds of a medium-security prison in Turkey. It has been 18 years since I was raped, and I am on my way to meet my attacker.

     Everyone has asked me why I want to meet him. I tell them. "Because I'd like to meet the man I've been in a relationship with for my entire life."

    For myself, I want to even out the power imbalance between us, to sit across the table on my terms and look into his eyes. The meeting has been arranged by my therapist and my soon to be husband and he has had several talks with the man, Kenan Ergenç, Known as the "Aga". He warns me about the Nirvana Outcome, which rarely happens and consists of the offender offering a heartfelt apology to his victims. I tell him that I am expecting no such thing.

   Finally, he enters, His physical appearance changed than the last time I sow him thirteen years ago. We stand up as he offers me his hand.

  "I'm Kenan. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Melek. Nice to meet you again."

We sat in complete silence before I began talking.

"I still remember your voice," I counter firmly.

"Didn't I rape you a while ago?" He asked trying to hold the laughter.

My rage had reached through the roof when I saw his laughter.

He is a man without emotional consequence – without remorse, or regret. Without consideration, without compassion...without love.

A spiteful tormentor. A lonely, angry soul.

A beast.

"Exactly seventeen years, ten months , three weeks ,four days ago." I corrected.

"seventeen years or seventeen minutes." He mummer in a barely audible voice.

"It's the same." I defended.

"It is in the past, just move on" He stated as if he was talking about someone else as if he didn't know who I am.

"It is in the past,  you say? Then why is it still happening, every day, every time I close my eyes? Every time I hear someone behind me, and I don't know who it is? How is it that I get an almost irresistible urge to kill anyone who happens to touch me unexpectedly even if it was my husband ? Tell me, how do I forgive, let alone forget, something that is still happening, that keeps happening over and over? How? How do I do that? The drugs,the pregnancy ,the labor pain, the rape ,five years of my life and worst of all your kisses." I lost it , I became emotional even thought I promised myself and my parents that I wouldn't.

"So you are coming all the way here after all those years to tell me that ?" he asked ,confused almost in sarcastic way.

For a fleeting moment the Nirvana Outcome seems within reach.