twenty-three

dakota's pov +

i instantly felt like i was frozen. my mouth turned dry, my palms were sweating and i couldn't find a response.

all i knew was that i was on the verge of crying any minute.

"lemme see it" he calmly spoke.

"jack, it's nothing" i assured.

he chuckled, "then if it's nothing, let me see it".

there was no way that i could get out of this one. he's seen the texts, he's probably got an idea of what's going on, so i just have to face it. it's over.

i slowly handed him the phone and he frowned as he read the texts on the lockscreen.

the look that he gave me after practically ripped my heart out.

jack eventually took his own phone out of his pocket and started calling olivia's number. he held his phone to his ear and my phone immediately started ringing.

tears began to form in my eyes as jack ended the call and stared at me with so much disappointment.

"what is this?" he questioned, his voice was low and cracking slightly.

my lips started to move, but i couldn't get anything out.

"what's going on?" sam joined us, squeezing jack's shoulder and reeking of alcohol.

"okay, just let me explain" i began.

my own voice was as low as jack's right now because the lump in my throat was stopping me from speaking any louder.

"wow" crystal soon strutted over, "drama has started and i'm not even involved. what happened?".

no one responded to her question. jack just continued to stare at me with so much hurt in his eyes that i was forced to look away.

crystal spotted my phone in jack's hand and saw the texts written on the screen. why does she always have to involve herself in everything?

"who's is this?" she inquired. "...woah, wait. wait a second, you're telling me that dakota has been olivia all along?".

the smug smile on her face started to make my blood boil that i would have slapped her if i had to guts to.

"that's impossible" sam scoffed. "she's a real person, my cousin knows her".

"have you ever spoken to her or even met her?" crystal questioned him.

sam shook his head, "no, but she's real".

"well, it looks like dakota's been pretending to be her" crystal announced proud and loud for everyone remaining in sam's house to hear.

"am i secretly on the show catfish or something?" johnson asked, before i finally got the courage to make eye contact with jack again.

"jack, just let me—" i tried to say, but he cut me off by harshly dropping my phone on the couch and barged past me.

"no, jack wait!" i hurried after him out of the front door. "wait, please!".

he whipped around to face me as we stopped on the sidewalk.

"so was what crystal was saying true?!" he exclaimed. "you've been pretending to be olivia all this time?".

shamefully, i nodded my head. i looked at the house and noticed that people were starting to gather outside and watch the drama erupt before them.

"why?" he asked. "was this some type of joke to you, like a prank with your friends or something?".

"no, it wasn't like that" i quickly corrected. "when you first texted olivia, i think you got the wrong number and happened to get my old one".

"so you just thought you'd play along? it'll be funny to see how long it takes stupid jack to figure this out?!".

i shook my head, "no, i don't think that you're stupid. i-i just wanted to talk to you".

he creased his eyebrows like my words were foreign to him.

"talk to me? you speak to me almost every single day!" jack yelled.

"now, yes. but before, you barely even knew who i was" i explained to him as tears started to roll down my cheeks.

"what are you talking about? we went to middle school together, we're in the same classes at school".

i shook my head because that wasn't what i was talking about. it was way much more than that.

"after you decided to be apart of crystal's little clique, you never took any notice of me, ever. do you know how that made me feel?".

"do you know how i feel right now?" he yelled over me. "you lied to my face everyday for all these weeks. i stood at parties waiting for olivia to show up and went on and on to you about how amazing she is".

he broke our eye contact and pulled his hands down his face as if he couldn't stand to look at me anymore.

"you even sat with me at that doorstep for a whole hour, waiting for her come" he mentioned. "i was fucking hurt when she didn't and you sat there saying nothing".

"i know and—".

"you're the one person that i trusted the most, dakota" his voice quietened down again, causing my heart to break more. "i could talk to you about anything".

"and you still can. okay, i'm still the same person. i was going to stop but things just got so complicated and then—".

jack cut me off again by waving his hands, "no, i'm not listening to this".

he left my side and headed back towards sam's house, where everyone still continued to watch us. they all stared at me like i'd killed their entire family - including kelsey, who had no idea about the whole situation.

she deserves an explanation too, but right now, i have to focus on getting jack to not hate me.

"jack, please" i begged.

"no, just do me a favour and stay the hell away from me, dakota" he turned around to say, closely to my face.

i grabbed onto his arm before he could leave again, "jack, wait. you don't understand, i—".

he immediately yanked out of my hold, storming away from me and back into the house.

i didn't even realise how many tears were falling down my face right now until he was out of sight and i took in what just happened.

things were going so perfectly before. if i had just stopped being so stupid and given up on olivia, jack would still be able to look at me right now.

a few people started to follow inside after jack, but others stayed to watch me embarrassingly break into a heap of tears.

"wow, someone's got serious issues" crystal muttered, followed by a laugh.

"for once in your life — shut up, crystal" jonah defended, pushing his way through everyone to get to me.

he instantly embraced me in a tight hug as i cried into his arms. he rubbed my back then helped me wipe some of the tears on my cheeks.

"come on, dee. let's get out of here" he told and we both walked down the sidewalk to get into the uber that he previously ordered for us.

-

fuck my emotions are everywhere

{vote, comment and share}