𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐬

A Dalmatian was the last thing she thought to be the reason for his leaving yesterday. She hadn't even considered that Chris left to get something for her and Quentin which was a really sweet thing to do.

But a dog? Bree couldn't understand why would he give them a dog. He surely was one kind of a man.

She often thought about how this happened. What had happened to make them this close? When she left to New York five years ago, she never excepted to meet Chris again, let alone become friends with him.

Now they were acting like buying a dog to other was a normal thing to do. But she was happy. Of course, there was still an emptiness in her which wouldn't be filled again after Xavier but slowly it became easier to live with it.

Before she had days when she had been so depressed that it was hard to even take care of Quentin but now it felt like those days were gone. After two years of talking about her problems and getting help to them, she felt like she was actually living again.

Now there was a person who seemed to understand her pain and wanted to make her happy after so long. It felt nice to know that someone cared this much, someone other than Brett or Quentin. Chris was there for her, even though he knew what a mess she was sometimes. And she was grateful for that.

She was now at work, waiting for her last class to end so she could go home and visit Brett with Quentin. As much as she tried not to give up, she was scared that her brother wouldn't wake up.

It was all thanks to Chris that she still had hope because he was there with her, saying the right words that she needed to hear before she would completely break down. He truly was her best friend. How that had happened, she had no idea.

Suddenly her phone rang and she frowned, then rolled her eyes when she noticed that it was her oh, so supportive father who she hadn't seen since the day when they came to the hospital and complained about Brett's career choice.

She answered with a short hello, feeling as annoyed as always when he wanted something from her.

"Bree, he's awake. Brett is awake!" she heard the happiness in his voice which left her confused. Then she realized that maybe it was the almost-death that they needed to understand the true meaning of the family.

Why no one had called her from the hospital? She was angry but knew that it wouldn't get her anywhere so she pushed the anger away.

She didn't bother to say anything to her father before ending the call. Then she gave some made-up excuse about the family emergency to one of her co-workers before she started to run out of the school.

She needed to be at the hospital as soon as possible. She also knew that Quentin would want to be there too if his uncle was finally awake. So, she decided to get him from kindergarten on her way to the hospital. That's also when she remembered Chris and decided to inform him in case he wanted to know.

"Hello?"

"Brett's awake! Chris, he's finally awake!" Bree didn't bother to do small talk and went straight to the point, being so happy that she almost felt like crying.

"Holy shit, now?! Okay, umm - can you pick me up? I'm at Rick's, I mean, I'm home," he said. She was a bit confused why would he want to come too but didn't question it. She agreed to go there after Quentin's kindergarten.

Forty minutes later she was finally at the hospital, walking towards her brother's room while holding Quentin's hand. He was very excited to see his uncle awake again because he had missed him so terribly.

Chris was right beside them, so close that their hands almost touched but Bree didn't let that happen. Her son started to run towards his uncle's room that was very familiar to him since they had visited him many times during the last week.