Chapter 12 - "There's nothing to say for now, Carter."

Rain beat the glass and darkened the sky outside the school. The constant tapping at the window was the background noise to Mr. Miller's voice as he droned on. Carter neither heard the incessant rain or Mr. Miller's words. Nothing seem to hold her attention except for the statue of a person beside her. Anger seemed to radiate from the spot, daring her to try and say anything or even look that way.

The bell rang, bringing about the shriek of stools on the linoleum floors and the rise in voices as conversations were taken up.

"Link," Carter said.

He didn't glance at her. He still wore the same stony expression his features had shifted to, when his gaze had landed on her as he walked into the room. A wall of silence had separated them through the entire class and Carter found herself at a lost for how to break past it. Link shouldered his backpack and made for the door, his rigid body screaming his opinion of Carter at the moment.

As she watched him storm off, Carter couldn't blame him for not speaking to her. If she had taken a second the day before to really think about what she was doing she would see how heartless she had been, all because she had had the desire to prove she was right. No matter what kind of relationship Link held with his father, he and his existence was still a shameful secret that couldn't get out.

In forcing him to admit who he was, she had essentially ripped open an old wound and stabbed it, making it bleed fresh. He had every right to be mad at her. She hadn't just crossed a line, she had taken a sledge hammer to a fragile wall.

With a frustrated burst of air, Carter grabbed her bag and followed him. By the time she had stepped out into the hallway, Link had already vanished into the thick crowds with Donovan. The volume of the school and the happy laughter of friends grated on Carter's ears. Locker doors banged shut and footsteps filled the crowded hallways, competing with the storm of conversations and flirtations. Carter walked to history, her thoughts darker than the sky.

Donovan was sitting in Link's usual spot when Carter entered the classroom. Link was deep in conversation with Maddy and pointedly had his face turned away from Carter. As she took her seat, Maddy noticed her.

"Hey, Carter," she said.

Carter turned back and gave a half convincing smile.

"Hi, Maddy," she said.

Carter glanced towards Link, but he was absorbed with the contents of his notebook. His brows were knotted together and his mouth was a thin, tight line.

"I was just telling Link, all of you should sit with my group during lunch," Maddy said.

Link tensed and his jaw flexed. Carter noticed and felt the pit in her stomach grow.

"I know Link and Donovan would love that. I might be busy, but thanks anyways," she said.

Maddy shrugged and smiled, the look open and untroubled.

"Alright."

She turned back to Link and he looked up, meeting Carter's gaze for a second. In his eyes, she read all the hurt and anger his reality held. A reality she had carelessly exposed. All of Carter's planned words collapsed like sand castles under foot. She turned back, allowing Link to resume his conversation with Maddy.

Donovan sat silently beside her, his blank face more impenetrable than ever. With a furtive glance back at Link, Carter twisted towards him.

"Donovan," she said, in a quiet voice.

He looked over at her with emotionless eyes. Though his expression was impassive, there was a tension around his lips that echoed Link's thoughts.