PRACTICE: Pace & Timeline

Like the last section, some of pace and timeline aren't Q&A type exercises, but exercises you can apply to your book.

Don't feel pressured to answer every single one, but try to challenge yourself! There's no judging here. This is a safe space. Some questions might not actually even apply to your work, and that's totally okay.

Remember, the point of this guidebook is for you to improve and not feel the need to seek out an editor (at least not until you are one stage away from finally publishing your work!).

Please don't ruin it for yourself and look at the answers others have posted. How will you learn if you do so?

You don't have to post your answers to avoid spoiling and plagiarism, but write down the answers for yourself.

Good luck and have fun!

Exercise:

1. Write this scene at a fast pace.

Kayla calls the police from her neighbor's house. When they arrive, they enter her house with her trailing behind, terrified. The police call her cell phone and locate it in the front hall closet. Inexplicably, it's on the floor.

2. Write this scene at a leisurely pace.

The police wait while Kayla packs a few things, and they drive her to her sister's house. Kayla finds the fake rock where her sister has always kept a spare key, but the cubbyhole is empty.

3. What type of pacing would you use when the protagonist's plans are canceled due to a rainy day?

4. What type of pacing would you use when the protagonist gets kidnapped?

5. What type of pacing would you use when the protagonist connects eyes with the love interest for the first time?

6. Is this sentence in passive or active voice?

A part of our fence was destroyed by the strong winds.

7. Rewrite this sentence, changing it from passive to active voice: The most expensive cars are often built by foreign companies.

8. Rewrite this sentence, changing it from passive to active voice: The materials were brought by my uncle, and the shed was built by my cousin.

9. Is this sentence in passive or active voice?

The letter was not written by me.

10. Last one. Is this sentence in passive or active voice?

A good argument was made by the defense team.

Apply these questions to your own book:

1. What are your plot tentpoles?

2. Do you have a plot twist?

3. Do you have a plot reversal?

4. Do you have a plot danger?