【Prologue】

"𝕀𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 𝕤𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕝𝕚𝕗𝕖, 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖 𝕒 𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕜 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕚𝕣𝕣𝕠𝕣

"𝕀𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 𝕤𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕝𝕚𝕗𝕖, 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖 𝕒 𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕜 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕚𝕣𝕣𝕠𝕣. " 𝕌𝕟𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨𝕟.

【Prologue】

Ten Years Ago

I have a twin brother named Chase. We grew up together and we were so close, even as toddlers. My mom told me one time during a storm I was upset and crying, and Chase just crawled right out of his crib and got into mine just so he could snuggle me and calm me from the storm.

We were two then. Chase is older than me by two minutes but never lets me forget it. The day we turned seven was the day we drifted apart. It wasn't instantly right away but that day marked a turning point in our lives that we could never come back from.

Chase friended Ryan at our birthday party. See, we lived in Thousand Oaks California in middle-class suburbia and the neighbors had just moved in and with them, their seven-year-old Ryan Housley came.

Ryan never wanted to be my friend, he only wanted to hang out with my brother. And since my brother had only been friends with me all his life, a boy coming along to finally play football, instead of Barbie's or piano, became a blessing to my brother in the form of Ryan Housley. I was a strange kid all my life, or maybe different was a better adjective. I was smart, like really smart, I was tested and could have skipped several grades, but I wanted to be with my twin, so I stayed in his grade ... Along with Ryan.

I used to look like Chase when we were younger. Tall and lanky with a dark shade of brunette hair and chocolate colored eyes. We had this tan that never faded probably due to the California sunshine but always a tad darker than our parents a thing we never questioned.

However, I started to get bullied when I was seven that year in school. At first, it was my affliction to reading any books I could get my hands on to writing poetry and playing the piano. People thought I was strange, and I never thought much of it because I had my twin who was my best friend.

At least until the day he became my bully. He didn't outright bully me but he stood by while Ryan would and just watched. Isn't that just as bad to watch a bully as it is to be one? That's what hurt. That's what cut me deepest. Seeing my twin turn on me, seeing him watch me get hurt, standing idly by, and not care to do anything about it.

I used to think us twins could feel each other's pain and that if something ever went wrong we would come to the rescue because that was our job. That's how we would play when we were younger. Twin telepathy maybe.

Now I'm sure it didn't work that way because surely, he would have felt my pain the day I tried to kill myself. But he didn't. Were we even twins?