The George McKnight, Dee Free, and Liquid Ice Show

“Can you believe they sold out. 15K seats.” Roy said.

“Well, George is an asshole, but he is a popular asshole, and 15K seats is not all that much.” Xavier said.

“It’s a lot of us!” Ted said while the rest of the band laughed.

Darlene looked over from the side and Roy walked over to her.

“There is no hard feelings here. And I know this is a great opportunity, but we just didn’t expect that you would do us like this. You woudnl’t have this opportunity were it not for us.”

“I know, I know, But George told me he would take care of it.” Darlene responded.

“Well, if you ever need a keyboard player, let me know. And no matter what he says, if you need a drummer, you know Xavier got your back.”

“Thanks…thank you so much.” Darlene said as she hugged Roy.

“Do you want to come over and say anything to the band?” Roy asked.

She walked over with Roy.

“I’m sorry it went down like it went down, but I hope yall kill it.” Darlene said.

“Is somebody talking?” Amy said.

Ted and Richard laughed.

“Well fuck yall then. I tried.” Darlene said as she stormed off.

“You have 20 minutes, and you go on in three…two…one…now.” The stage manager said to Roy as he waited behind the curtain. He pointed at the group and they walked out.

Ted and Richard took their places. Xavier went behind the drums. Roy walked over to the keyboards. Ellen and Amy went to the mics in front.

Richard hit a base riff and Xavier joined in as Amy began singing 'The eye.’

She sang the hell out of the song, but Roy immediately realized he was missing Darlene’s high soaring soprano.

The crowd was half into it, but not totally. The song was drawing to a close with the crowd half way into them. Roy ran over to Xavier. He pointed to Ted to do a solo and extend the song a bit. ‘I’m gonna call in Darlene.’ Roy yelled to Xavier.

“Hell naw.” Xavier said.

“I’m gonna call in Darlene and you are gonna be happy with it.”

“Whatever Roy, it’s your band.”

Roy smiled, he knew that Xavier went along with him easily when he agreed. So Roy figured that Xavier agreed.”

Ted’s solo brought the crowd back into them and Roy raised his hand signifying it is time to close the song.

Roy took the mic, “The eye was a song that you made a hit and we thank you.” But one of the voices that made it such a big hit is leaving Liquid Ice. Some of you know her as our soprano. We know her as our sister and friend. Come on and give a round of applause to Darlene Freeman.”

The audience gave a polite clap while Darlene came on stage. “Downtown medly, Darlene on lead.” Roy said. This was a medly of the first 3 songs Liquid Ice ever performed. Amy normally sang lead, but often the group would pass the mic around with even Xavier getting a rare lead from time to time. But now Roy wanted to showcase Darlene to both set her up and hopefully warm up the crowd.

The medly began with Darlene belting out a high powerful note that Amy could only dream of hitting. Amy looked angrily as she and Ellen sang backup to the powerful soprano.

The crowd rocked into it as Darlene really began to sing. The medly flew by and it was time for the singing of Victor. And Darlene didn’t give up the mic, she continued singing straight into the song. The band kept playing but they had glances to Amy who was getting more and more angry as the time went by.

Amy grabbed the mic and then her and Darlene got into a singing match that frankly Amy was not prepared for.

Darlene totally and completely out sang her and Amy ran off stage crying. But the groove was so strong that hardly no one realized it. In fact, it appeared to be part of the show. The band continued playing for a bit longer.

Darlene walked over to Roy gave him the mic, pointed it away from her and said, “I gotta go get ready to come out. Thanks for doing this.”

“And thank you for reminding me how much of a team player that you are by taking over the whole set.” Roy said.

“Whatever Roy.” Darlene said.

She waved her hands at the crowd and walked off.

The crowd was really into it though and their applause was demonstrating that they wanted an an-chore. Roy looked back at his band and said to the band, “Amy ain’t here, so Ellen let’s drop that new song we been practicing with you on lead, “Cold.”

They sang a few bars and the crowd kept singing. The crowd noise was going to take the roof off the place. Roy could now see Amy standing on the side looking on, but he coudn’t be concerned with that.

The song continued to completion, they were 10 minutes over and Darlene needed to come out so Roy closed their set.

They walked off the stage like kings.

As Roy walked off stage the stage manager grabbed him and said, “George wants you to introduce Darlene. Maybe even play something.”

“Xavier, Ted, Richard, Amy, Ellen…Come on. Let’s show them how you send someone off…” Roy said to the group.

“I ain’t going anywhere Roy, after the stunt she pulled, why are you even helping her?” Amy said while crossing her arms in front of her.

“Baby girl, I hate you…but I love you, if this is the last time we play together, let’s make sure it is the best time we play together.” Xavier said.

“I’m game.” Ted said while running out on stage.

Ted began playing before the rest of the band could get out there. The Liquid Ice ended up playing half the set when George McKnight walked out on the stage. And the already hyped crowd just took it to another level.

“Don’t you just love Liquid Ice? Well I really love them because they have given me my newest singer. Dee Free. Ladies and Gentleman, Dee Free.” The lights went down and Then her unmistakable high and powerful soprano busted through the darkness. Then her and George sang a duet.

Liquid Ice slowly backed off stage and walked to their dressing room.

“I don’t know if I should say it, but that was absolutely freekin amazing.” Ted said.

“You know it bro. Plus we got to work with George McKnight’s band.” Richard said.

Xavier laughed, “I gotta admit, that was pretty cool.”

“I think I made a mistake not letting Darlene sing more leads.” Roy said.

“Well I told you, but can’t nobody tell you nothing.” Xavier said with a smile.

“I don’t think this is gonna work out.” Amy walked up from behind saying.

“Now what is the matter wth you?” Roy asked.

“That bitch came up and took my song and none of yall did a damn thing.”

“Are you mad that she took your song, or are you mad that she out sang you?” Xavier said.

“See that’s why I’m leaving none of yall respected me.”

“OK, Amy, we have been down this road with you before. If you want out…then leave. We just had the greatest show in our history and you let your pride get in the way of enjoying it. If you want to go…then go…”

Amy stormed out.

“So what are you gonna do now?” Richard asked.

“I’m going to go see a Dee Free and George McKnight show. Cause he always puts on a great show.” Roy said while walking back to the arena floor.