CHAPTER 11-NEWSIE RALLY!

Piper's POV:

The whole rest of the next day, Medda had Robin and I trying on dresses and shoes until we found the perfect ones. Then she had us do makeup, much to both of our displeasures, and then did our hair for us. Finally, the finishing touched of jewelry were coming together. Robin wore more jewelry than I did because she had wanted a bit more. Robin may be an all out tough Brooklyn Newsie, but I learned from spending time with her and Medda, she could also be an all out goil who loved dresses and fancy things.

Finally, after hours of preparation, we were both done. looked amazing. Medda had insisted on Robin wearing all green to compliment her green eyes and red hair. She was in a green dress that stopped at her knees, her hair was tied back with a green ribbon, and she had a fake emerald necklace and ring, with matching green shoes.

And while I had originally wanted to wear my favorite color, blue, I had gone with a red and black dress. Medda hadn't been a fan at first but when I insisted, Medda made me look completely different. I was in a black dress that stopped just above my knees and a sash sort of thing around it and then fell out in a train at the back, just barely longer than the dress itself. I had black heels and matching black lace gloves with my hair curled and gently cascading down my back, stopping just below my shoulders.

Robin and I waited for Spot and Race on the steps of Irving Hall. When they both walked up, their jaws dropped. Racetrack quickly recovered and offered Robin his arm. Robin blushed and took it before they both walked inside together. However, that left me alone with Spot, who was still staring at Spot closed his mouth and swallowed before walking up to me.

"You look incredible," he told me, causing me to blush.

"Thank you," I said, a bit sheepishly, "You look amazing as well."

It was true. Sure, he wasn't in a suit or anything, but he would've looked out of place if he was. He had slicked his hair but not too much and was in new, nicer clothes. They were still Newsie clothes but now he wore a jacket and a new button up shirt.

Spot realized we were just standing there in silence and then cleared his throat.

"So uhh, shall we?" He asked and offered me his arm.

I smiled and nodded, taking his arm.

"Just to warn you, I've never worn heels before so I might trip," I told him.

He smiled at me.

"Don't worry, I'll be there to catch you," he replied, causing me to blush.

We walked inside into a mass of Newsies. Several of the boys saw me and their eyes widened. One wolf-whistled at me as I passed. Spot quickly shot a glare at the guy and put his arm around my waist, pulling me a little bit closer to him. I blushed crimson at the action but at the same time I liked it. I thought it was cute how protective Spot was.

Spot led me to our table which was near the stage and pulled out a chair for me. When I sat down he pushed in my chair like a gentleman before sitting beside me. We ordered some food and then sat there in an awkward silence.

"So..." Spot began, trying to break the awkwardness. "I've realized that we haven't gotten a chance to really know each other since this whole thing began. Umm, tell me a little about yourself."

I blushed a bit and began awkwardly, "Well, uhh, I became a newsie when I was about seven after my apartment burned down. My brudder is Crutchy. Umm... I love singing and that's all there really is to me."

"Aw, come on," Spot said, smiling slightly. "There must be more than that. You're the hardest person to figure out."

"Look who's talking," I laughed.