Kabanata 52

#JustThisOnce

Kabanata 52

Everyone was still.

No one was moving.

"Oh, my god." Maggie was the first one to break the silence. "You guys kissed. I know you're married, but it still felt... weird."

My eyes were stuck on Parker's face. For a moment, I saw him clench his jaw and ball his fist, but now his face was impassive. Nakita ko na hinawakan ni Cindy iyong kamay niya. I didn't know what was happening.

"So... what are we gonna eat?" Psalm asked.

Hindi ko pa rin alam ang gagawin ko. Everyone began to move and pretend that that didn't just happen, but my hands were still shivering.

"I'm gonna sleep," Maven said. Mabilis na umawang ang labi ko.

"After kissing me in front of everyone, you'll sleep?!" I hissed.

Maven faced me. "What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know!" I hissed again. "San mo ako dadalhin?!" I asked when he pulled me.

"Sleep," he said.

"Tone the noise down, guys! May kasama kayo dito," Psalm shouted over—for everyone to hear. That ass! He's so freaking weird!

Nang makarating kami sa kwarto, totoo nga ang sinabi ni Maven. He's already fast asleep. It's one of his talents—mabilis makatulog. As he was sleeping, I watched him. I... had no idea how his freaky mind worked. He's the one who always told me that this marriage was nothing more than a marriage of convenience. He even told me that the idea of making it real was creepy.

And now, he's acting like this.

I wanna choke him in his sleep.

Nang hindi ako makatulog, dumiretso ako sa labas. It was cold, but I was feeling bothered by that effin' kiss kaya hindi na ako nag-abala na magdala pa ng cardigan.

Everyone was busy. For some weird reasons, they didn't want to bring help with us kaya sina Maggie iyong nagvolunteer na magluto. Si Saint naman kasama sa kwarto si Mary. About the others? I couldn't be bothered. My mind's a pool of mess.

I knew guards were following me, but I really couldn't care less. I just needed some air to breathe and some time to think. Diretso lang akong naglakad hanggang sa kung saan na ako makarating. I stopped when I felt tired. I sat down on the grass and hugged my knees.

I spent the whole day getting massage. Truth was, I didn't want to see anyone. I felt sorry because today's about Cohen, but God, I just didn't know how to go back after everyone seeing Maven and me kiss. Nandun kasi si Parker.

When night dreadingly fell, I had no choice but to come back. They were all at the back side of the house, grilling barbeque. Dumiretso ako roon.

Maven just looked at me when he saw me coming. I begrudgingly sat beside him.

"I got a massage," I said.

"Okay."

"Hindi mo ba ako hinanap?"

"No," he replied.

"You weren't even worried?"

He shook his head. "You're a grown up. You need time. I understand that."

Napaawang ang labi ko. I'd never fully understand Maven. He's a huge enigma to me... but it felt nice to hear him call me a grown up. Sobrang nasaktan ako nang sinabi ni Parker na kailangan kong magmature. As if everything I did before was out of whim.